- Removal of myomas in asymptomatic patients to improve fertility and/or reduce miscarriage rate: a guideline
Removal of myomas in asymptomatic patients to improve fertility and/or reduce miscarriage rate: a guideline
HEALTH OF WOMAN. 2018.4(130):106–113
Practice Committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine
The American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Birmingham, Alabama
1. Baird DD, Dunson DB, Hill MC, Cousins D, Schectman JM. High cumulative incidence of uterine leiomyoma in black and white women: ultrasound evidence. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2003;188:100-7.
2. Cramer SF, Patel A. The frequency of uterine leiomyomas. Am J Clin Pathol 1990;94:435-8.
3. Peddada SD, Laughlin SK, Miner K, Guyon JP, Haneke K, Vahdat HL, et al. Growth of uterine leiomyomata among premenopausal black and white women. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2008;105:19887-92.
4. Huyck KL, Panhuysen CIM, Cuenco KT, Zhang J, Goldhammer H, Jones ES, et al. The impact of race as a risk factor for symptom severityand age at diagnosis of uterine leiomyomata among affected sisters. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2008;198:168.e1-9.
5. Wechter ME, Stewart EA, Myers ER, Kho RM, Wu JM. Leiomyoma-related hospitalization and surgery: prevalence and predicted growth based on population trends. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2011;205:492.e1-5.
6. Spies JB, Bradley LD, Guido R, Maxwell GL, Levine BA, Coyne K. Outcomes from leiomyoma therapies: comparison with normal controls. Obstet Gynecol 2010;116:641-52.
7. Munro MG, Critchley HO, Broder MS, Fraser IS, for the FIGO Working Group on Menstrual Disorders. FIGO classification system (PALM-COEIN) for causes ofabnormal uterine bleeding in nongravid women of reproductive age. Int J Gynecol Obstet 2011;113:3-13.
8. Johnson G, MacLehose RF, Baird DD, Laughlin-Tommaso SK, Hartmann KE. Uterine leiomyomata and fecundability in the Right from the Start study. Hum Reprod 2012;27:2991-7.
9. Hart R, Khalaf Y, Yeong CT, Seed P, Taylor A, Braude P. A prospective controlled study of the effect of intramural uterine fibroids on the outcome of assisted conception. Hum Reprod 2001;16:2411-7.
10. Stovall DW, Parrish SB, Van Voorhis BJ, Hahn SJ, Sparks AE, Syrop CH. Uterine leiomyomas reduce the efficacy of assisted reproduction cycles: results of a matched follow-up study. Hum Reprod 1998;13:192-7.
11. Ng EH, Ho PC. Doppler ultrasound examination of uterine arteries on the day of oocyte retrieval in patients with uterine fibroids undergoing IVF. Hum Re- prod 2002;17:765-70.
12. Moon JW, Kim CH, Kim JB, Kim SH, Chae HD, Kang BM. Alterations in uterine hemodynamics caused by uterine fibroids and their impact on in vitro fertilization outcomes. Clin Exp Reprod Med 2015;42:163-8.
13. Bozdag G, Esinler I, Boynukalin K, Aksu T, Gunalp S, Gurgan T. Single intramural leiomyoma with normal hysteroscopic findings does not affect ICSI-embryo transfer outcome. Reprod Biomed Online 2009;19: 276-80.
14. Klatsky P, Lane D, Ryan I, Fujimoto V. The effect of fibroids without cavity involvement on ART outcomes independent of ovarian age. Hum Reprod 2007;22:521-6.
15. Nejad ES, Moini A, Amirchaghmaghi E, Rashidi BH, Pour PJ, Neko EA. Effect of intramural uterine myoma on the outcome of ART cycles. Iran J Reprod Med 2007;5:65-8.
16. Vimercati A, Scioscia M, Lorusso F, Laera AF, Lamanna G, Coluccia A, et al. Do uterine fibroids affect IVF outcomes? Reprod Biomed Online 2007;15: 686-91.
17. Ng EH, Chan CC, Tang OS, Yeung WS, Ho PC. Endometrial and subendometrial blood flow measured by three-dimensional power Doppler ultrasound in patients with small intramural uterine fibroids during IVF treatment. Hum Reprod 2005;20:501-6.
18. Check JH, Choe JK, Lee G, Dietterich C. The effect on IVF outcome of small intramural fibroids not compressing the uterine cavity as determined by a prospective matched control study. Hum Reprod 2002;17:1244-8.
19. Yarali H, Bukulmez O. The effect of intramural and subserous uterine fibroids on implantation and clinical pregnancy rates in patients having intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2002;266:30-3.
20. Wang W, Check JH. Effect of corporal fibroids on outcome following embryo transfer in donor-oocyte recipients. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol 2004; 31:263-4.
21. Dietterich C, Check JH, Choe JK, Nazari A, Fox F. The presence of small uterine fibroids not distorting the endometrial cavity does not adversely affect conception outcome following embryo transfer in older recipients. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol 2000;27:168-70.
22. Lu N, Wang Y, Su YC, Sun YP, Guo YH. Effects of the distance between small intramural uterine fibroids and the endometrium on the pregnancy outcomes of in vitro fertilization-embryo transfer. Gynecol Obstet Invest 2015;79:62-8.
23. Yan L, Ding L, Li C, Wang Y, Tang R, Chen ZJ. Effect of fibroids not distorting the endometrial cavity on the outcome of in vitro fertilization treatment: a retrospective cohort study. Fertil Steril 2014;101:716-21.
24. Guven S, Kart C, Unsal MA, Odaci E. Intramural leoimyoma without endometrial cavity distortion may negatively affect the ICSI – ET outcome. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2013;11:102.
25. Levens ED, Stegmann BJ, Feinberg EC, Larsen FW. Ultrasonographic characteristics of the endometrium among patients with fibroids undergoing ART. Fertil Steril 2008;89:1005-7.
26. Khalaf Y, Ross C, El-Toukhy T, Hart R, Seed P, Braude P. The effect of small intramural uterine fibroids on the cumulative outcome of assisted conception. Hum Reprod 2006;21:2640^.
27. Gianaroli L, Gordts S, D’Angelo A, Magli MC, Brosens I, Cetera C, et al. Effect of inner myometrium fibroid on reproductive outcome after IVF. Reprod Biomed Online 2005;10:473-7.
28. Oliveira FG, Abdelmassih VG, Diamond MP, Dozortsev D, Melo NR, Abdelmassih R. Impact of subserosal and intramural uterine fibroids that do not distort the endometrial cavity on the outcome of in vitro fertilization-intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Fertil Steril 2004;81:582-7.
29. Healy DL. Impact of uterine fibroids on ART outcome. Environ Health Per- spect 2000;108(Suppl 5):845-7.
30. Somigliana E, De Benedictis S, Vercellini P, Nicolosi AE, Benaglia L, Scarduelli C, et al. Fibroids not encroaching the endometrial cavity and IVF success rate: a prospective study. Hum Reprod 2011;26:834-9.
31. Horcajadas JA, Goyri E, Higon MA, Martinez-Conejero JA, Gambadauro P, Garcia G, et al. Endometrial receptivity and implantation are not affected by the presence of uterine intramural leiomyomas: a clinical and functional genomics analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008;93:3490-8.
32. Surrey ES, Lietz AK, Schoolcraft WB. Impact of intramural leiomyomata in patients with a normal endometrial cavity on in vitro fertilization-embryo transfer cycle outcome. Fertil Steril 2001;75:405-10.
33. Wang W, Check JH, Dietterich C, Lurie D. Effect of fibroids on cumulative probability of pregnancy in women taking follicle maturing drugs without assisted reproductive technology. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol 2001;28:86-8.
34. Christopoulos G, Vlismas A, Salim R, Islam R, Trew G, Lavery S. Fibroids that do not distort the uterine cavity and IVF success rates: an observational study using extensive matching criteria. BJOG 2017;124:615-21.
35. Aboulghar MM, Al-Inany HG, Aboulghar MA, Serour GI, Mansour RT. The effect of intramural fibroids on the outcome of IVF. Mid East Fertil Soc J 2004;9:263-7.
36. Jun SH, Ginsburg ES, Racowsky C, Wise LA, Hornstein MD. Uterine leiomyomas and their effect on in vitro fertilization outcome: a retrospective study. J Assist Reprod Genet 2001;18:139^3.
37. Hartmann KE, Velez Edwards DR, Savitz DA, Jonsson-Funk ML, Wu P, Sundermann AC, et al. Prospective cohort study of uterine fibroids and miscarriage risk. Am J Epidemiol 2017;7:1-9.
38. Benson CB, Chow JS, Chang-Lee W, Hill JA 3rd, Doubilet PM. Outcome of pregnancies in women with uterine leiomyomas identified by sonography in the first trimester. J Clin Ultrasound 2001;29:261^.
39. Casini ML, Rossi F, Agostini R, Unfer V. Effects of the position of fibroids on fertility. Gynecol Endocrinol 2006;22:106-9.
40. Bulletti C, De Ziegler D, Polli V, Flamigni C. The role of leiomyomas in infertility. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 1999;6:441-5.
41. Seoud M, Patterson R, Musher S, Coddington C. Effects of myoma or prior myomectomy on In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) performance. J Assist Reprod Genet 1992;9:217-21.
42. Surrey E, Minjarez D, Stevens J, Schoolcraft W. Effect of myomectomy on the outcome of assisted reproductive technologies. Fertil Steril 2005;83:1473-9.
43. Guillaume J, Benjamin F, Jean-Gilles M, Ajah M, Tabassi G, Kenel-Pierre C. Myomectomy and tubloplasty performed at the same time in cases of distal tubal obstruction with associated fibroids. J Reprod Med 2000;45:461-4.
44. Bulletti C, De Ziegler D, Levi Setti P, Cicinelli E, Polli V, Stefanetti M. Myomas, preg- nancyoutcome, and in vitro fertilization. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2004;1034:84-92.
45. Galliano D, BellverJ, Diaz-Garcia C, Simon C, PellicerA. ART and uterine pathology: how relevant is the maternal side for implantation? Hum Reprod Update 2015;21:13-38.
46. Pritts EA, ParkerWH, Olive DL. Fibroids and infertility: an updated systematic review of the evidence. Fertil Steril 2009;91:1215-23.
47. Metwally M, Cheong YC, Horne AW. Surgical treatment of fibroids for subfertility. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012:CD003857.
48. Bosteels J, Weyers S, Puttemans P, Panayotidis C, Van Herendael B, Gomel V, etal. The effectiveness of hysteroscopy in improving pregnancy rates in subfertile women without other gynaecological symptoms: a systematic review. Hum Reprod 2010;16:1-11.
49. DonnezJ,Jadoul P. Whatare the implications of myomas on fertility? A need fora debate? Hum Reprod 2002;17:1424-30.
50. Palomba S, Zupi E, FalboA, RussoT, Marconi D,TolinoA, etal.A multicenter randomized, controlled study comparing laparoscopic versus minilaparo- tomic myomectomy: reproductive outcomes. Fertil Steril 2007;88:933-41.
51. Seracchioli R, Rossi S, Govoni F, Rossi E, Venturoli S, Bulletti C, et al. Fertility and obstetric outcome after laparoscopic myomectomy of large myomata: a randomized comparison with abdominal myomectomy. Hum Reprod 2000; 15:2663-8.
52. Kim MS, Uhm YK, Kim JY, Jee BC, Kim YB. Obstetric outcomes after uterine myomectomy: Laparoscopic versus laparotomic approach. Obstet Gynecol Sci 2013;56:375-81.
53. Hackethal A, Westermann A, Tchartchian G, Oehmke F, Tinneberg HR, Muenstedt K, et al. Laparoscopic myomectomy in patients with uterine myomas associated with infertility. Minim InvasiveTherAlliedTechnol 2011;20: 338^5.
54. Campo S, Campo V, Gambadauro P. Reproductive outcome before and after laparoscopic or abdominal myomectomy for subserous or intramural myomas. EurJ Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2003;110:215-9.
55. Bosteels J, Kasius J, Weyers S, Broekmans FJ, Mol BW, D‘Hooghe TM. Hysteroscopy for treating subfertility associated with suspected major uterine cavity abnormalities. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015: CD009461.
56. Eldar-Geva T, Meagher S, Healy DL, MacLachlan V, Breheny S, Wood C. Effect of intramural, subserosal, and submucosal uterine fibroids on the outcome of assisted reproductive technology treatment. Fertil Steril 1998; 70:687-91.
57. Narayan R, Rajat, Goswamy K. Treatment of submucous fibroids, and outcome of assisted conception. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 1994;1: 307-11.
58. Varasteh NN, Neuwirth RS, Levin B, Keltz MD. Pregnancy rates after hyster- oscopic polypectomy and myomectomy in infertile women. Obstet Gynecol 1999;94:168-71.
59. Oliveira FG, Abdelmassih VG, Diamond MP, Dozortsev D, Nagy ZP, Abdelmassih R. Uterine cavity findings and hysteroscopic interventions in patients undergoing in vitro fertilization-embryo transfer who repeatedly cannot conceive. Fertil Steril 2003;80:1371-5.