- Stomal complications in children
Stomal complications in children
PAEDIATRIC SURGERY.2016.3-4(52-53):68-73; doi 10.15574/PS.2016.52-53.68
Stomal complications in children
Gorbatyuk O. M.
Shupyk National Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education, Kiev, Ukraine
Aim of the study. Creation of intestinal stomas in children may accompanied by a wide range of stomal complications. The aim of this study is improvement the treatment results of intestinal stomas complications.
Material and methods. Results of treatment of 49 patients with intestinal stomas. 15 children (30.61%) had stomal complications. Such early complications as a bleeding, intestinal eventration, necrosis of stoma, retraction of stoma, parastomal abscessus have been observed in 5 patients. Such late complications as stomal stenosis (4 cases), stenosis of interintestinal anastomosis (1), paracolostomal hernia (1), intestinal granulations and ulceras (1), parastomal dermatitis (3) have been observed in 10 patients.
Results. Tactic and technical mistakes of creation of intestinal stomas are main reasons of stomal complications in children. Non adequate intestinal mobilization, disturbance blood circulation of intestinal wall, incorrect diameter of opening in abdominal wall, disturbance of fixation of intestinal segment to layers of abdominal wall are the most important from them. In majority of patients stomal complications were removed with surgical methods.
Conclusions. In every third patients creation of intestinal stoma accompanied by development of complications. Following of rules and methods of creation of intestinal stomas is the main preventative measure of stomal complications in children. The permanent specialized observation for patients with intestinal stomas help of timely diagnostics and treatment of possible stomal complications. A properly created stoma should perform its functions and to make easier the condition of a patient.
Key words: intestinal stoma, stomal complications, children.
1. Vorobev GI, Tsarkov PV. 2001. Kishechnyie stomyi. Moskva, MNPI: 90.
2. Zakharash MP, Zakharash YuM. 2015. Kyshechni stomy: vydy stom, metodyky yikh formuvannia; medyko-sotsialna reabilitatsiia stomovanykh khvorykh. Uskladnennia kyshechnyk stom, yikh likuvannia. Metodychni rekomendatsii. Kyiv: 43.
3. Kalashnikova IA, Achkasov SI. 2009. Algoritm diagnostiki i lecheniya oslozhneniy kishechnoy stomyi. Koloproktologiya. 3(29): 8–14.
4. Millar AJ, Lakhoo K, Rode H et al. 1993. Bowel stomas in infants and children. A 5-year audit of 203 patients. S Afr J Surg. 3; 3: 110–113.
5. Holschneider AM, Hutson JM. 2006. Anorectal malformations in children. Embryology, diagnosis, surgical treatment, follow-up. Berlin Heidelberg, Springer-Verlag: 153.
6. Holschneider AM, Puri P. 2007. Hirschsprung’s disease and allied disorders. 3rd ed. Berlin, Springer-Verlag: 177.
7. Lo SF, Wang YT, Wu LY et al. 2011. Multimedia education programme for patients with a stoma: effectiveness evaluation. J Adv Nurs. 67(1): 68–76. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05455.x; PMid:21158903
8. Duchesne JC, Wang YZ, Weintraub SL et al. 2002. Stoma complications: a multivariate analysis. Am Surg. 68; 11: 961–966. PMid:12455788
9. Park JJ, Del Pino A, Orsay CP et al. 1999. Stoma complications: the Cook County Hospital experience. Dis Colon Rectum. 42(12): 1575–1580. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02236210; PMid:10613476