- Serum levels of VEGF in blood serum in type 1 diabetes patients with microangyopathy and arterial hypertention
Serum levels of VEGF in blood serum in type 1 diabetes patients with microangyopathy and arterial hypertention
HEALTH OF WOMAN. 2017.10(126):54–57; doi 10.15574/HW.2017.126.54
Mogylnytska L. A.
Khmelnitsky Regional Hospital
The objective: to determine the serum level of VEGF as a marker of endothelial dysfunction in type 1 diabetic patients with microangiopathy, to study of the association of arterial hypertension and the level of this factor, its relationship with the other risk factors for cardiovascular disease.
Materials and methods. We examined 23 type 1 diabetic patient with microangiopathy and arterial hypertension, 10 type 1 diabetic patient with microangiopathy without hypertension and 28 healthy control subjects. Serum levels of VEGF were determined by immunoenzyme assay. The data were presented as means±SD. Statistical analysis was performed using the Mann — Whitney U-test, Person rank correlation coefficient, multiple regression analysis.
Results. We found an increased serum level of VEGF in type 1 diabetic patients with microangiopathy and arterial hypertension compared to control group (50.13±7.31 and 22.67±4.02 ng/ml respectively; р<0.05), and in type 1 diabetic patients with microangiopathy without hypertension compared to control (42.67±7.46 and 22.67±4.02 ng/ml respectively; р<0.05). Serum level of was elevated in type 1 diabetic patients and arterial hypertension compared to group of diabetic patients without hypertension (50.13±7.31 and 42.67±7.46 ng/ml respectively; р<0.05). Also, the level of fibronectin correlated with key markers of carbohydrate and lipid metabolism (p<0.05).
Conclusion. The revealed changes of VEGF serum levels could reflect an endothelial dysfunction in patients with type 1 diabetes with microangiopathy and arterial hypertension. Arterial hypertension, hyperglycemia, dyslipidemia appear to be significant contributing factor to the elevation of VEGF.
Key words: VEGF, endothelial dysfunction, type 1 diabetes, arterial hypertension.
1. American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care in diabetes-2014. Diabetes Care. 2014. 37(1):14-80.
2. Burns SF, Lee S, Bacha F et al. 2014. Pre-diabetes in overweight youth and early atherogenic risk. Metabolism. 63(12):1528-1535. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2014.08.008; PMid:25240909 PMCid:PMC4252973
3. Cockcroft J, Mancia G. 2012. Vascular aging: shifting the paradigm of risk assessment and reduction in hypertension. J Hypertens. 30:1-2. https://doi.org/10.1097/HJH.0b013e328353e4ec; PMid:23124099
4. Danaei G, Finucane MM, Lin JK et al. 2011. National, regional, and global trends in systolic blood pressure since 1980: systematic analysis of health examination surveys and epidemiological studies with 786 country-years and 5.4 million participants. Lancet. 377:568-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(10)62036-3
5. ESH/ESC Task Force for the Management of Arterial Hypertension. 2013 Practice guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and the European Society of Cardiology (ESC): ESH/ESC Task Force for the Management of Arterial Hypertension. J Hypertens. 2013. 31(10):1925-1938. https://doi.org/10.1097/HJH.0b013e328364ca4c; PMid:24107724
6. European Stroke Organisation, Tendera M, Aboyans V et al. Guidelines on the diagnosis and treatment of peripheral artery diseases: Document covering atherosclerotic disease of extracranial carotid and vertebral, mesenteric, renal, upper and lower extremity arteries: the Task Force on the Diagnosis and Treatment of Peripheral Artery Diseases of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J – 2011. 32:2851-906. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehr211; PMid:21873417
7. Giannini C, Mohn A, Chiarelli F, Kelnar CJ. 2011. Macrovascular angiopathy in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 27(5):436-60. https://doi.org/10.1002/dmrr.1195; PMid:21433262
8. Kubisz P, Chudý P, Stasko J, Galajda P, Hollý P, Vysehradský R, Mokán M. 2010. Circulating vascular endothelial growth factor in the normo- and/or microalbuminuric patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Acta Diabetol. 47(2):119-124. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00592-009-0127-2; PMid:19436948
9. Kohner EM, Porta M. 1991. Protocols for screening and treatment of diabetic retinopathy in Europe. Eur J Ophthalmol. 1(1):45-54. PMid:1821198