- Secondary breast lymphoma. A case report
Secondary breast lymphoma. A case report
HEALTH OF WOMAN. 2018.3(129):54–57; doi 10.15574/HW.2018.129.54
Gurando A. V. , Shuliga-Nedayhlebova O. V. , Telniy V. V. , Pominchuk D. V.
MC «Verum», Kyiv
In this article, in a specific clinical case, the features of the image of secondary lymphoma of the breast with the use of a multimodal clinical-radiological approach were determined and the main literature sources for increasing awareness of this rare but very important pathology are given.
Radiologic features of breast lymphomas are non-pathognomonic and may mimic different forms of invasive breast cancer. However, radiologists and clinicians should be aware of this rare pathology to avoid a misinterpretation. The multimodal clinical and radiological approach can be as close as possible to the diagnosis of braest lymphoma, and will pave the way for further diagnostics as biopsy and histopathological evaluation remain the gold-standard for diagnosis.
Key words: breast limphoma, digital breast tomosynthesis, full-field digital mammography, breast ultrasound, Selenia Hologic, core needle biopsy.
1. Bozhok YeM, Hurando AV. 2017. Imitatsiia raku lokalnoiu asymetriieiu hrudnoi zalozy. Klinichnyi vypadok. Luchevaia dyahnostyka. Luchevaia terapyia 2:68–73.
2. Dykan IM, Bozhok YeM, Hurando AV, Kozarenko TM. 2017. Tsyfrovyi tomosyntez u diahnostytsi zakhvoriuvan hrudnykh zaloz: rozkish chy neobkhidnist? (Analitychnyi ohliad literatury). Zdorove zhenshchynу 8(124):108–115.
3. Aviv A, Tadmor T, Polliack A. 2013. Primary diffuse large B-cell lymphoma of the breast: looking at pathogenesis, clinical issues and therapeutic options. Ann Oncol. 24:2236–2244. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdt192; PMid:23712546
4. Yang WT, Lane DL, Le-Petross HT and all. 2007. Breast Lymphoma: Imaging Findings of 32 Tumors in 27 Patients. Radiology 245:692–702. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2452061726; PMid:17911538
5. Krithika Rangarajan, Smriti Hari, Sanjay Thulkar and all. 2016. Characterization of lesions in dense breasts: Does tomosynthesis help? Indian J Radiol Imaging. 26(2):210–215. https://doi.org/10.4103/0971-3026.184416; PMid:27413268 PMCid:PMC4931780
6. Demirkazık FB. 2002. MR imaging features of breast lymphoma. Eur J Radiol. 42:62–64. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0720-048X(01)00416-8
7. Sun Y, Joks M, Xu L-M and all. 2016. Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma of the breast: prognostic factors and treatment outcomes. OncoTargets and therapy 9:2069–2080. https://doi.org/10.2147/OTT.S98566; PMid:27103833 PMCid:PMC4827925
8. Gallamini A, Borra A. 2014. Role of PET in lymphoma. Current treatment options in oncology 15:248–261. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11864-014-0278-4; PMid:24619427
9. Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM and all. 2011. Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin. 61(2):69–90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107; PMid:21296855
10. Zhang B-N, Cao X-C, Chen J-Y and all. 2012. Guidelines on the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer (2011 edition). Gland Surg. 1(1):39–61. PMid:25083426 PMCid:PMC4115707
11. Health Quality Ontario. Ultrasound as an Adjunct to Mammography for Breast Cancer Screening: A Health Technology Assessment. Health Quality Ontario. Health Technology Assessment Series. 2016. 16;15:1–71.
12. Arizono S, Isoda H, Maetani YS and all. 2008. High-spatial-resolution three-dimensional MR cholangiography using a high-sampling-efficiency technique (SPACE) at 3T: Comparison with the conventional constant flip angle sequence in healthy volunteers. J Magn Reson Imaging 28:685–690. https://doi.org/10.1002/jmri.21484; PMid:18777552
13. Shim E, Song SE, Seo BK and all. 2013. Lymphoma Affecting the Breast: A Pictorial Review of Multimodal Imaging Findings. J Breast Cancer. 16:254–265. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2013.16.3.254; PMid:24155754 PMCid:PMC3800721
14. Sabate JM, Gomez A, Torrubia S and all. 2002. Lymphoma of the breast: clinical and radiologic features with pathologic correlation in 28 patients. Breast J. 8:294–304. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1524-4741.2002.08509.x; PMid:12199758
15. Lyou CY, Yang SK, Choe DH and all. 2007. Mammographic and sonographic findings of primary breast lymphoma. Clin Imaging. 31:234–238. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinimag.2007.02.028; PMid:17599616
16. Liberman L, Giess CS, Dershaw DD and all. 1994. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma of the breast: imaging characteristics and correlation with histopathologic findings. Radiology 192:157–160. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.192.1.8208929; PMid:8208929
17. Surov A, Holzhausen HJ, Wienke A and all. 2012. Primary and secondary breast lymphoma: prevalence, clinical signs and radiological features. Br J Radiol. 85(1014):195–205. https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr/78413721; PMid:22665932 PMCid:PMC3474114
18. Gualco G, Chioato L, Harrington WJ and all. 2009. Primary and secondary T-cell lymphomas of the breast: clinico-pathologic features of 11 cases. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 17:301–306. https://doi.org/10.1097/PAI.0b013e318195286d; PMid:19318917 PMCid:PMC2739299
19. Jabbour G, El-Mabrok G, Al-Thani H and all. 2016. Primary Breast Lymphoma in a Woman: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Am J Case Rep. 17:97–103. https://doi.org/10.12659/AJCR.896264; PMid:26893404 PMCid:PMC4763798
20. Hugh JC, Jackson FI, Hanson J, Poppema S. 1990. Primary breast lymphoma: An immunohistologic study of 20 new cases. Cancer. 66(12):2602–2611. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19901215)66:12<2602::AID-CNCR2820661224>3.0.CO;2-U
21. Irshad A, Ackerman SJ, Pope TL and all. 2008. Rare Breast Lesions: Correlation of Imaging and Histologic Features with WHO Classification. RadioGraphics. 28:1399–1414. https://doi.org/10.1148/rg.285075743; PMid:18794315
22. Taron J, Fleischer S, Bahrs S and all. 2017. Secondary Breast Lymphoma: A Case Report. Arch Hematol Case Rep Rev. 2(2):019–021. https://doi.org/10.17352/ahcrr.000010
23. Youk JH, Kim EK, Kim MJ and all. 2008. Sonographically guided 14-gauge core needle biopsy of breast masses: a review of 2,420 cases with long-term follow-up. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 190(1):202–207. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.07.2419
24. Joy Melnikow, MD, MPH, Joshua J. Fenton, MD, MPH, Evelyn P. Whitlock, MD, MPH and all. 2016. Supplemental Screening for Breast Cancer in Women with Dense Breasts: A Systematic Review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med. 164(4):268–278. https://doi.org/10.7326/M15-1789
25. Loughrey MB, Windrum P, Catherwood MA and all. 2004. WHO reclassification of breast lymphomas. J Clin Pathol. 57(11):1213–1214. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.2004.018994; PMid:15509687 PMCid:PMC1770478