- Screening and treatment of hyperandrogenic conditions in adolescents
Screening and treatment of hyperandrogenic conditions in adolescents
HEALTH OF WOMAN. 2019.9(145): 72–75; doi 10.15574/HW.2019.145.72
This expert concept was developed by the Committee on Adolescent Health at the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists in collaboration with Committee members Jennie Yoost, MD and Ashlyn Savage, MD
Adolescent Health Committee
Adapted by L.V. Pakharenko
1. Liu K, Motan T, Claman P. 2017. No. 350-hirsutism: evaluation and treatment. J Obstet Gynaecol Can 39:1054–68.
2. Olutunmbi Y, Paley K, English JC 3rd. 2008. Adolescent female acne: etiology and management. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 21:171–6.
3. Escobar-Morreale HF, Carmina E, Dewailly D, Gambineri A, Kelestimur F, Moghetti P et al. 2012. Epidemiology, diagnosis and management of hirsutism: a consensus statement by the Androgen Excess and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Society (published erratum appears in Hum Reprod Update 19:207. 2013). Hum Reprod Update 18:146–70.
4. Lizneva D, Gavrilova-Jordan L, Walker W, Azziz R. 2016. Androgen excess: Investigations and management. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 37:98–118.
5. Castelo-Branco C, Cancelo MJ. 2010. Comprehensive clinical management of hirsutism. Gynecol Endocrinol 26: 484–93.
6. Witchel SF, Roumimper H, Oberfield S. 2016. Polycystic ovary syndrome in adolescents. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 45:329–44.
7. Polycystic ovary syndrome. ACOG Practice Bulletin 194. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Obstet Gynecol 131:e157–71. 2018.
8. Zaenglein AL, Pathy AL, Schlosser BJ, Alikhan A, Baldwin HE, Berson DS et al. 2016. Guidelines of care for the management of acne vulgaris. J Am Acad Dermatol 74:73. 945–73.e33.
9. Iezzi ML, Lasorella S, Varriale G, Zagaroli L, Ambrosi M, Verrotti A. 2018. Clitoromegaly in childhood and adolescence: behind one clinical sign, a clinical sea. Sex Dev 12: 163–74.
10. Codner E, Villarroel C, Eyzaguirre FC, Lopez P, Merino PM, Perez-Bravo F et al. 2011. Polycystic ovarian morphology in postmenarchal adolescents. Fertil Steril 95:702–6.e1–2.
11. Huppert J, Chiodi M, Hillard PJ. 2004. Clinical and metabolic findings in adolescent females with hyperandrogenism. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 17:103–8.
12. Rosenfield RL. 2015. The diagnosis of polycystic ovary syndrome in adolescents. Pediatrics 136:1154–65.
13. Azziz R, Carmina E, Dewailly D, Diamanti-Kandarakis E, Escobar-Morreale HF, Futterweit W et al. 2009. The Androgen Excess and PCOS Society criteria for the polycystic ovary syndrome: the complete task force report. Task Force on the Phenotype of the Polycystic Ovary Syndrome of the Androgen Excess and PCOS Society. Fertil Steril 91: 456–88.
14. Speiser PW, Arlt W, Auchus RJ, Baskin LS, Conway GS, Merke DP et al. 2018. Congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to steroid 21-hydroxylase deficiency: an Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline (published erratum appears in J Clin Endocrinol Metab 104:39–40. 2019). J Clin Endocrinol Metab 103:4043–88.
15. Martin KA, Anderson RR, Chang RJ, Ehrmann DA, Lobo RA, Murad MH et al. 2018. Evaluation and treatment of hirsutism in premenopausal women: an Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 103:1233–57.
16. Lim SS, Hutchison SK, Van Ryswyk E, Norman RJ, Teede HJ, Moran LJ. 2019. Lifestyle changes in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 3. Art. No.: CD007506. DOI: 10. 1002/14651858.CD007506.pub4.
17. White T, Jain JK, Stanczyk FZ. 2005. Effect of oral versus transdermal steroidal contraceptives on androgenic markers. Am J Obstet Gynecol 192:2055–9.
18. Battaglia C, Mancini F, Fabbri R, Persico N, Busacchi P, Facchinetti F et al. 2010. Polycystic ovary syndrome and cardiovascular risk in young patients treated with drospirenoneethinylestradiol or contraceptive vaginal ring. A prospective, randomized, pilot study. Fertil Steril 94:1417–25.
19. Rathnayake D, Sinclair R. 2010. Use of spironolactone in dermatology. Skinmed 8:328–32; quiz 333.
20. Tartagni MV, Alrasheed H, Damiani GR, Montagnani M, De Salvia MA, De Pergola G et al. 2014. Intermittent low-dose finasteride administration is effective for treatment of hirsutism in adolescent girls: a pilot study. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 27:161–5.
21. Obesity in adolescents. Committee Opinion 714. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Obstet Gynecol 130:e127–40. 2017.
22. Ganie MA, Khurana ML, Eunice M, Gupta N, Gulati M, Dwivedi SN et al. 2004. Comparison of efficacy of spironolactone with metformin in the management of polycystic ovary syndrome: an open-labeled study (published erratum appears in J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:4655. 2004). J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:2756–62.
23. Al Khalifah RA, Florez ID, Dennis B, Thabane L, Bassilious E. 2016. Metformin or oral contraceptives for adolescents with polycystic ovarian syndrome: a meta-analysis. Pediatrics 137:e20154089.
24. Sanchez LA, Perez M, Azziz R. 2002. Laser hair reduction in the hirsute patient: a critical assessment. Hum Reprod Update 8:169–81.
25. Fayne RA, Perper M, Eber AE, Aldahan AS, Nouri K. 2018. Laser and light treatments for hair reduction in Fitzpatrick skin types IV-VI: a comprehensive review of the literature. Am J Clin Dermatol 19:237–52.
26. Wolf JE Jr, Shander D, Huber F, Jackson J, Lin CS, Mathes BM et al. 2007. Randomized, double-blind clinical evaluation of the efficacy and safety of topical eflornithine HCl 13.9% cream in the treatment of women with facial hair. Eflornithine HCl Study Group. Int J Dermatol 46:94–8.
27. Eichenfield LF, Krakowski AC, Piggott C, Del Rosso J, Baldwin H, Friedlander SF et al. 2013. Evidence-based recommendations for the diagnosis and treatment of pediatric acne. American Acne and Rosacea Society. Pediatrics 131(3):163–86.
28. Katsambas AD, Dessinioti C. 2010. Hormonal therapy for acne: why not as first line therapy? Facts and controversies. Clin Dermatol 28:17–23.
29. Simmons KB, Haddad LB, Nanda K, Curtis KM. 2018. Drug interactions between non-rifamycin antibiotics and hormonal contraception: a systematic review. Am J Obstet Gynecol 218:88–97.e14.