- Rare anorectal malformation – a congenital pouch colon in neonates: literature review and own observation
Rare anorectal malformation – a congenital pouch colon in neonates: literature review and own observation
PAEDIATRIC SURGERY.UKRAINE.2018.2(59):72-76; DOI 10.15574/PS.2018.59.72
Fofanov O. D., Fofanov V. O., Banasevych V. V.
Ivano-Frankivsk National Medical University, Ukraine
CI Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast Children's Clinical Hospital, Ukraine
The article presents literary data on distribution, morphological signs, clinics, diagnostics and treatment of rare defects (especially in the European countries) – congenital pouch colon (CPC) in association with anorectal agenesis in newborns. The actual clinical observation of this combined defect in a newborn girl is also given. The authors concluded that the pathognomonic feature of CPC is the presence of a large gas bubble of the colon, which occupies more than 50% of the abdominal width in a child with anorectal agenesis on the plain abdominal X-ray or invertogram, and ultrasound signs of cystic enlargement of the colon. Tactics of surgical correction and prognosis are largely dependent upon the type of CPC and of associated anorectal malformation.
Key words: congenital pouch colon, anorectal malformations, newborns.
1. Ashcraft KW, Holder TM. 1997. Pediatric surgery. SPb. Hardford (2): 384.
2. Gopienko MA, Popova YB, Kotin AN et al. 2013. Rare variant of anomalies – rectal pouch. Rus. Herald of Ped. Surg., Anesth. and Reanim. 4: 102–106.
3. Ergashev NS, Otarmuradov FA. 2016. Rare forms of anorectal malformations in girls. Rus. Herald of Ped. Surg., Anesth. and Reanim. 6(3): 40-44.
4. Agarwal K, Chadha R, Ahluwalia C. et al. (2005). The histopathology of congenital pouch colon associated with anorectal agenesis. Eur J Pediatr Surg. 15; 2: 102-106. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2004-830346; PMid:15877258
5. Chadha R, Agarwal K, Choudhury SR, Debnath PR. (2008). The colovesical fistula in congenital pouch colon: a histologic study. J Pediatr Surg. 43(11): 2048-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2008.05.021; PMid:18970939
6. Chadha R, Bagga D, Malhotra CJ et al. (1994). The embryology and management of congenital pouch colon associated with anorectal agenesis. J Pediatr Surg. 29: 439–446. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3468(94)90588-6
7. Chadha R. (2004). Conginental pouch colon associated with anorectal agnesis. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 20: 393–401.
8. Herman ТЕ, Coplen D, Skinner M (2000). Congenital short colon with imperforate anus (pouch colon): Report of a case. Pediatr Radiol. 30: 243–246.
9. Holschneider A, Hutson J (2006). Anorectal Malformations in Children. Embryology, diagnosis, surgical treatment, follow-up. Heidelberg: Springer. PMCid:PMC2074887
10. Kazez A., Ozel S.K., Bakal U et al. (2009). Abdominotransanal approach to pouch colon associated with rectal atresia. J Pediatr Surg. 44: 19-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2009.02.058; PMid:19524712
11. Mathur P, Prabhu K, Jindal D. (2002). Unusual presentations of pouch colon. J Pediatr Surg. 37: 1351–1353. https://doi.org/10.1053/jpsu.2002.35007; PMid:12194131
12. Mathur P, Saxena AK, Simlot A. (2009). Management of congenital pouch colon based on the Saxena-Mathur classification. J Pediatr Surg. 44(5): 962-966. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2009.01.035; PMid:19433179
13. Narasimharao KL, Yadav K, Mitra SK et al. (1984). Congenital short colon with imperforate anus (pouch colon syndrome). Ann. Pediatr. Surg. 1: 159–167.
14. Parelkar S, Oak S, Mishra PK et al. (2010). Congenital pouch colon with rectal atresia: a case report. J Pediatr Surg. 45: 639-641. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2009.12.028; PMid:20223335
15. Puri A, Choudhury SR, Yadav PS et al. (2011). Congenital pouch colon and segmental dilatation of the colon: A report of two unusual cases. J Indian Assoc Pediatr Surg. 16.(2): 61–63. https://doi.org/10.4103/0971-9261.78133; PMid:21731234 PMCid:PMC3119939
16. Wakhlu AK, Wakhlu A, Pandey A et al. (1996). Congenital short colon. World J Surg. 20: 107–14. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002689900019; PMid:8588400