- The prognostic value of fecal calprotectin in preterm less than 32 weeks
The prognostic value of fecal calprotectin in preterm less than 32 weeks
SOVREMENNAYA PEDIATRIYA.2019.1(97):26-29; doi 10.15574/SP.2019.97.26
Khasanova S. S., Kamilova A. Т.
Republican Perinatal Center, Ministry of Health of the Republic of Uzbekistan, Tashkent
Republican Specialized Scientific and Practical Medical Center of Pediatrics, Ministry of Health of the Republic of Uzbekistan, Tashkent
Worldwide, the category of newborns with very low birth weight (VLBW) and extremely low birth weight (ELBW) determines the high mortality, morbidity and the formation of disabling pathology among the child population. In connection with the transfer of the Republic of Uzbekistan to registration with a birth weight of 500 g and a period of gestation of 22 weeks, this is of particular relevance. The goal is to determine the prognostic value of FC in preterm less than 32 weeks.
Materials and methods. A prospective study was conducted of 108 premature babies born between 22 and 32 weeks of gestation and 27 full-term newborns who formed the control group. In addition to the generally accepted examination, on the 3rd-4th day of life, fecal calprotectin was analyzed by enzyme immunoassay using PhiCal®.
Results. We found that the level of FC, as well as CRP in the first group was significantly higher than in the second and reaches values up to 137.20±12.9 mcg/g versus 95.85±6.73 mcg/g. In the first group there is a positive correlation dependence of the level of PK with the level of serum leukocytes at birth (r=0.71), the level of CRP (r=0.63), the duration of non-invasive respiratory support (r=0.61). In addition, a positive relationship was found with a delay in the onset of stable weight gain (r=0.51).
Findings. The definition of FC is an objective and non-invasive test that can be used as a screening, as well as a predictor of NEC in children born up to 28 weeks. A rational diagnosis strategy at the initial stages of the disease will contribute to the timely prevention and treatment of complications.
Key world: fecal calprotectin, preterm babies.
1. Altynbaeva GB, Bozhbanbaeva NS, Ovsyannikov DYu. (2018). Opyt primeneniya ehkspress-testov v diagnostike nekroticheskogo ehnterokolita u nedonoshennyh detej. Pediatriya. 97(5): 170–175.
2. Arhipova MYu, Zaharova SYu. (2016). Ocenka sostoyaniya zdorov'ya glubokonedonoshennyh detej. Russian Bulletin of Perinatology and Pediatrics. 1: 32–36..
3. Kessaeva IK, Kaloeva ZD, Barycheva LYu, Golubeva MV. (2015). Informativnost' fekal'nogo kal'protektina v diagnostike ostryh kishechnyh infekcij u detej. Fundamental'nye issledovaniya. 1-1: 87—91.
4. Tat'yanina OF, Potapov AS, Namazova LS et al. (2008). Fekal'nyj kal'protektin – marker kishechnogo vospaleniya pri zabolevaniyah kishechnika u detej. Pediatricheskaya farmakologiya. 5; 3: 13—19.
5. Caplan MS, Fanaroff A. (2017). Necrotizing: A historical perspective. Seminars in perinatology. WB Saunders. 41; 1: 2—6.
6. Carroccio A, Jacono G, Cottone M. (2003). Diagnostic Accuracy of Fecal calprotectin assay in distinguishing organic causes of chronic diarrhea from irritable bowel syndrome: a prospective study in adults and children. Clinical Chemistry. 49: 861—867. https://doi.org/10.1373/49.6.861; PMid:12765980
7. Chen CC. et al. (2011). Usefulness of fecal lactoferrin in predicting and monitoring the clinical severity of infectious diarrhea. J. Gastroenterol. 17; 37: 4218—4224.
8. Grover M, Herfarth H. (2009). The functional-organic dischotomy: posrtinfectious irritable bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease-irritable bowel syndrome. Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 7; 1: 48—53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2008.08.032; PMid:18848909
9. Nakatani YY, Mikami M. (2003). Calprotectin (S100A8/S100A9), an inflammatory protein complex from neutrophils with a broad apoptosis-inducing activity. Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 26; 6: 753—760. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.26.753; PMid:12808281
10. Striz I, Trebichavsky I. (2004). Calprotectin — pleiotropic molecule in acute and chronic inflammation. Physiological Research. 53; 3: 245—253. PMid:15209531
11. Stroncek DF, Shankar RA, Skubitz KM. (2005). The subcellular distribution of myeloid-related protein 8 (MRP8) and MRP14 in human neutrophils. Journal of Translational Medicine. 3: 36. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5876-3-36; https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5876-3-24
12. Sykora J et al. (2010). Evaluation of faecal calprotectin as a valuable non-invasive marker in distinguishing gut pathogens in young children with acute gastroenteritis. Acta Paediatr. 99; 9: 1389—1395. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1651-2227.2010.01843.x; PMid:20412103
13. Weh J et al. (2013). Discriminatory potential of C-reactive protein, cytokines, and fecal markers in infectious gastroenteritis in adults. Diagn. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 77; 1: 79—84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diagmicrobio.2013.05.005; PMid:23773676
Article received: Nov 01, 2018. Accepted for publication: Jan 29, 2019.