- Myomethectomy in asymptomatic patients to improve fertility and / or reduce miscarriage: recommendations
Myomethectomy in asymptomatic patients to improve fertility and / or reduce miscarriage: recommendations
HEALTH OF WOMAN. 2018.4(130):114–121
Practical Committee of the American Society of Reproductive Medicine
American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Birmingham, Alabama
Abridged version. Adapted – SA Shurpyak
1. Baird DD, Dunson DB, Hill MC, Cousins D, Schectman JM. 2003. High cumulative incidence of uterine leiomyoma in black and white women: ultrasound ev- idence. Am J Obstet Gynecol 188:100–7.
2. Cramer SF, Patel A. The frequency of uterine leiomyomas. Am J Clin Pathol 1990;94:435–8.
3. Peddada SD, Laughlin SK, Miner K, Guyon JP, Haneke K, Vahdat HL et al. 2008. Growth of uterine leiomyomata among premenopausal black and white women. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105:19887–92.
4. Huyck KL, Panhuysen CIM, Cuenco KT, Zhang J, Goldhammer H, Jones ES et al. 2008. The impact of race as a risk factor for symptom severity and age at diag- nosis of uterine leiomyomata among affected sisters. Am J Obstet Gynecol 198:168.e1–9.
5. Wechter ME, Stewart EA, Myers ER, Kho RM, Wu JM. 2011. Leiomyoma-related hospitalization and surgery: prevalence and predicted growth based on pop- ulation trends. Am J Obstet Gynecol 205:492.e1–5.
6. Spies JB, Bradley LD, Guido R, Maxwell GL, Levine BA, Coyne K. 2010. Outcomes from leiomyoma therapies: comparison with normal controls. Obstet Gynecol 116:641–52.
7. Munro MG, Critchley HO, Broder MS, Fraser IS. 2011. For the FIGO Working Group on Menstrual Disorders. FIGO classification system (PALM-COEIN) for causes of abnormal uterine bleeding in nongravid women of reproductive age. Int J Gynecol Obstet 113:3–13.
8. Johnson G, MacLehose RF, Baird DD, Laughlin-Tommaso SK, Hartmann KE. 2012/ Uterine leiomyomata and fecundability in the Right from the Start study. Hum Reprod 27:2991–7.
9. Hart R, Khalaf Y, Yeong CT, Seed P, Taylor A, Braude P. 2001. A prospective controlled study of the effect of intramural uterine fibroids on the outcome of assisted conception. Hum Reprod 16:2411–7.
10. Stovall DW, Parrish SB, Van Voorhis BJ, Hahn SJ, Sparks AE, Syrop CH. 1998. Uter- ine leiomyomas reduce the efficacy of assisted reproduction cycles: results of a matched follow-up study. Hum Reprod 13:192–7.
11. Ng EH, Ho PC. 2002. Doppler ultrasound examination of uterine arteries on the day of oocyte retrieval in patients with uterine fibroids undergoing IVF. Hum Reprod 17:765–70.
12. Moon JW, Kim CH, Kim JB, Kim SH, Chae HD, Kang BM. 2015. Alterations in uter- ine hemodynamics caused by uterine fibroids and their impact on in vitro fertilization outcomes. Clin Exp Reprod Med 42:163–8.
13. Bozdag G, Esinler I, Boynukalin K, Aksu T, Gunalp S, Gurgan T. 2009. Single intramural leiomyoma with normal hysteroscopic findings does not affect ICSI-embryo transfer outcome. Reprod Biomed Online 19: 276–80.
14. Klatsky P, Lane D, Ryan I, Fujimoto V. 2007. The effect of fibroids without cavity involvement on ART outcomes independent of ovarian age. Hum Reprod 22:521–6.
15. Nejad ES, Moini A, Amirchaghmaghi E, Rashidi BH, Pour PJ, Neko EA. 2007. Effect of intramural uterine myoma on the outcome of ART cycles. Iran J Reprod Med 5:65–8.
16. Vimercati A, Scioscia M, Lorusso F, Laera AF, Lamanna G, Coluccia A et al. 2007. Do uterine fibroids affect IVF outcomes? Reprod Biomed Online 15: 686–91.
17. Ng EH, Chan CC, Tang OS, Yeung WS, Ho PC. Endometrial and subendome- trial blood flow measured by three-dimensional power Doppler ultrasound in patients with small intramural uterine fibroids during IVF treatment. Hum Reprod 20:501–6.
18. Check JH, Choe JK, Lee G, Dietterich C. 2005. The effect on IVF outcome of small intramural fibroids not compressing the uterine cavity as determined by a prospective matched control study. Hum Reprod 2002;17:1244–8.
19. Yarali H, Bukulmez O. 2002. The effect of intramural and subserous uterine fi- broids on implantation and clinical pregnancy rates in patients having intra- cytoplasmic sperm injection. Arch Gynecol Obstet 266:30–3.
20. Wang W, Check JH. 2004. Effect of corporal fibroids on outcome following em- bryo transfer in donor-oocyte recipients. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol 31:263–4.
21. Dietterich C, Check JH, Choe JK, Nazari A, Fox F. 2000. The presence of small uterine fibroids not distorting the endometrial cavity does not adversely affect conception outcome following embryo transfer in older recipients. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol 27:168–70.
22. Lu N, Wang Y, Su YC, Sun YP, Guo YH. 2015. Effects of the distance between small intramural uterine fibroids and the endometrium on the pregnancy out- comes of in vitro fertilization embryo transfer. Gynecol Obstet Invest 79:62–8.
23. Yan L, Ding L, Li C, Wang Y, Tang R, Chen ZJ. 2014. Effect of fibroids not distorting the endometrial cavity on the outcome of in vitro fertilization treatment: a retrospective cohort study. Fertil Steril 101:716–21.
24. Guven S, Kart C, Unsal MA, Odaci E. 2013. Intramural leoimyoma without endometrial cavity distortion may negatively affect the ICSI – ET outcome. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 11:102.
25. Levens ED, Stegmann BJ, Feinberg EC, Larsen FW. 2008. Ultrasonographic characteristics of the endometrium among patients with fibroids undergoing ART. Fertil Steril 89:1005–7.
26. Khalaf Y, Ross C, El-Toukhy T, Hart R, Seed P, Braude P. 2006. The effect of small intramural uterine fibroids on the cumulative outcome of assisted conception. Hum Reprod 21:2640–4.
27. Gianaroli L, Gordts S, D’Angelo A, Magli MC, Brosens I, Cetera C et al. 2005. Ef- fect of inner myometrium fibroid on reproductive outcome after IVF. Reprod Biomed Online 10:473–7.
28. Oliveira FG, Abdelmassih VG, Diamond MP, Dozortsev D, Melo NR, Abdelmassih R. 2004. Impact of subserosal and intramural uterine fibroids that do not distort the endometrial cavity on the outcome of in vitro fertilization-intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Fertil Steril 81:582–7.
29. Healy DL. 2000. Impact of uterine fibroids on ART outcome. Environ Health Perspect 108 (Suppl 5):845–7.
30. Somigliana E, De Benedictis S, Vercellini P, Nicolosi AE, Benaglia L, Scarduelli C et al. 2011. Fibroids not encroaching the endometrial cavity and IVF success rate: a prospective study. Hum Reprod 26:834–9.
31. Horcajadas JA, Goyri E, Higon MA, Martinez-Conejero JA, Gambadauro P, Garcia G et al. 2008. Endometrial receptivity and implantation are not affected by the presence of uterine intramural leiomyomas: a clinical and functional genomics analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:3490–8.
32. Surrey ES, Lietz AK, Schoolcraft WB. 2001. Impact of intramural leiomyomata in patients with a normal endometrial cavity on in vitro fertilization-embryo transfer cycle outcome. Fertil Steril 75:405–10.
33. Wang W, Check JH, Dietterich C, Lurie D. 2001. Effect of fibroids on cumulative probability of pregnancy in women taking follicle maturing drugs without assisted reproductive technology. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol 28:86–8.
34. Christopoulos G, Vlismas A, Salim R, Islam R, Trew G, Lavery S. 2017. Fibroids that do not distort the uterine cavity and IVF success rates: an observational study using extensive matching criteria. BJOG 124:615–21.
35. Aboulghar MM, Al-Inany HG, Aboulghar MA, Serour GI, Mansour RT. 2004. The effect of intramural fibroids on the outcome of IVF. Mid East Fertil Soc J 9:263–7.
36. Jun SH, Ginsburg ES, Racowsky C, Wise LA, Hornstein MD. 2001. Uterine leiomyo- mas and their effect on in vitro fertilization outcome: a retrospective study. J Assist Reprod Genet 18:139–43.
37. Hartmann KE, Velez Edwards DR, Savitz DA, Jonsson-Funk ML, Wu P, Sundermann AC et al. 2017. Prospective cohort study of uterine fibroids and miscarriage risk. Am J Epidemiol 7:1–9.
38. Benson CB, Chow JS, Chang-Lee W, Hill JA 3rd, Doubilet PM. 2001. Outcome of pregnancies in women with uterine leiomyomas identified by sonography in the first trimester. J Clin Ultrasound 29:261–4.
39. Casini ML, Rossi F, Agostini R, Unfer V. 2006. Effects of the position of fibroids on fertility. Gynecol Endocrinol 22:106–9.
40. Bulletti C, De Ziegler D, Polli V, Flamigni C. 1999. The role of leiomyomas in infer- tility. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 6:441–5.
41. Seoud M, Patterson R, Musher S, Coddington C. 1992. Effects of myoma or prior myomectomy on In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) performance. J Assist Reprod Genet 9:217–21.
42. Surrey E, Minjarez D, Stevens J, Schoolcraft W. 2005. Effect of myomectomy on the outcome of assisted reproductive technologies. Fertil Steril 83:1473–9.
43. Guillaume J, Benjamin F, Jean-Gilles M, Ajah M, Tabassi G, Kenel-Pierre C. 2000. Myomectomy and tubloplasty performed at the same time in cases of distal tubal obstruction with associated fibroids. J Reprod Med 45:461–4.
44. Bulletti C, De Ziegler D, Levi Setti P, Cicinelli E, Polli V, Stefanetti M. 2004. Myomas, preg- nancy outcome, and in vitro fertilization. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1034:84–92.
45. Galliano D, Bellver J, Diaz-Garcia C, Simon C, Pellicer A. 2015. ART and uterine pa- thology: how relevant is the maternal side for implantation? Hum Reprod Update 21:13–38.
46. Pritts EA, Parker WH, Olive DL. 2009. Fibroids and infertility: an updated systematic review of the evidence. Fertil Steril 91:1215–23.
47. Metwally M, Cheong YC, Horne AW. 2012. Surgical treatment of fibroids for subfertility. Cochrane Database Syst Rev:CD003857.
48. Bosteels J, Weyers S, Puttemans P, Panayotidis C, Van Herendael B, Gomel V et al. 2010. The effectiveness of hysteroscopy in improving pregnancy rates in sub- fertile women without other gynaecological symptoms: a systematic review. Hum Reprod 16:1–11.
49. Donnez J, Jadoul P. 2002. What are the implications of myomas on fertility? A need for a debate? Hum Reprod 17:1424–30.
50. Palomba S, Zupi E, Falbo A, Russo T, Marconi D, Tolino A et al. 2007. A multicenter randomized, controlled study comparing laparoscopic versus minilaparotomic myomectomy: reproductive outcomes. Fertil Steril 88:933–41.
51. Seracchioli R, Rossi S, Govoni F, Rossi E, Venturoli S, Bulletti C et al. 2000. Fertility and obstetric outcome after laparoscopic myomectomy of large myomata: a randomized comparison with abdominal myomectomy. Hum Reprod 15:2663–8.
52. Kim MS, Uhm YK, Kim JY, Jee BC, Kim YB. 2013. Obstetric outcomes after uterine myomectomy: Laparoscopic versus laparotomic approach. Obstet Gynecol Sci 56:375–81.
53. Hackethal A, Westermann A, Tchartchian G, Oehmke F, Tinneberg HR, Muenstedt K et al. 2011. Laparoscopic myomectomy in patients with uterine myomas associated with infertility. Minim Invasive Ther Allied Technol 20: 338–45.
54. Campo S, Campo V, Gambadauro P. 2003. Reproductive outcome before and after laparoscopic or abdominal myomectomy for subserous or intramural myomas. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 110:215–9.
55. Bosteels J, Kasius J, Weyers S, Broekmans FJ, Mol BW, D’Hooghe TM. 2015. Hysteroscopy for treating subfertility associated with suspected major uterine cavity abnormalities. Cochrane Database Syst Rev: CD009461.
56. Eldar-Geva T, Meagher S, Healy DL, MacLachlan V, Breheny S, Wood C. 1998;. Effect of intramural, subserosal, and submucosal uterine fibroids on the outcome of assisted reproductive technology treatment. Fertil Steril 70:687–91.
57. Narayan R, Rajat, Goswamy K. 1994. Treatment of submucous fibroids, and outcome of assisted conception. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 1: 307–11.
58. Varasteh NN, Neuwirth RS, Levin B, Keltz MD. 1999. Pregnancy rates after hyster- oscopic polypectomy and myomectomy in infertile women. Obstet Gynecol 94:168–71.
59. Oliveira FG, Abdelmassih VG, Diamond MP, Dozortsev D, Nagy ZP, Abdelmassih R. 2003. Uterine cavity findings and hysteroscopic interventions in patients undergoing in vitro fertilization-embryo transfer who repeatedly cannot conceive. Fertil Steril 80:1371–5.