- Modern principles of benign and borderline ovarian tumours treatment (Literature review)
Modern principles of benign and borderline ovarian tumours treatment (Literature review)
HEALTH OF WOMAN. 2016.4(110):56–60
Modern principles of benign and borderline ovarian tumours treatment (Literature review)
Sukhanova A. A., Yegorov M. Yu.
National Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education P. L. Shupyk, Kiev
Surgery is the primary treatment for patients with benign and borderline ovarian tumours. There is a tendency to use the most sparing surgical techniques for patients of reproductive age (laparoscopic cystectomy, ultra-conservative resection of the ovaries in case of borderline bilateral tumours). Patients of older age groups, as well as in case of malignancy, are recommended to undergo the operation to the extent of panhysterectomy and omentectomy and with obligatory performance of surgical staging (wipes, multiple peritoneal biopsies). Using sparing surgical techniques for patients of reproductive age increases the likelihood of benign and borderline ovarian tumours recurrence. Considering high probability of benign and borderline ovarian tumors recurrence after conservative sparing surgery in patients of reproductive age we need to study the methods of medication against relapse, that depending on the tumour histotype. There should be a research study in search for the use of drugs with targeted epigenetic actions – indole-3-carbinol and epigallocatechin-3-gallate after conservative operations on the ovaries aimed at chemoprophylaxis of tumor recurrence and its malignancy.
Key words: benign and borderline ovarian tumours, surgical treatment, ovarian endometrioma, targeted epigenetic therapy.
1. Aziev OV, Prokopenko EV. 2009. Is it possible to use laparoscopic approach in the treatment of patients with borderline ovarian tumors? Proceedings of the International Congress «New technologies in diagnostics and treatment of gynecological diseases». Moscow:57-58.
2. Akulenko LV. 2011. Hereditary breast, ovarian and endometrial cancer: principles of genetic diagnosis and prevention. Proceedings of the 12th All-Russian Scientific Forum «Mother and Child». Moscow:254-256.
3. Alfred Muek O. 2011. Dienogest is the oral progesterone for treatment of endometriosis.
4. Bokhman YaV. 1989. Manual on oncogynecology. Leningrad, Medicine:464.
5. Savelieva GM, Sukhikh GT, Manukhina IB. 2013. Gynecology. National manual. Moscow: GEOTAR-Media:704.
6. Dubossarska ZM, Puziy OM, Schepankova NF, Kukina GO. 2012. Ovarian reserve in patients with organ-preserving operations on the ovaries. Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology. 6:80-81.
7. Yegorov OO. 2012. Laparoscopic organ-preserving treatment of borderline tumors and early cancer pathology of ovaries. Taurian Medical and Biology Journal 2; p 1(58):115-117.
8. Zhigunova Alina. 2013. New horizons of gynecological surgery. Ukrainian Medical Journal. 6(98):25-28.
9. Kiselev VI, Muyzhnek EL. 2011. Onkoprophilaxis in gynecology. New knowledge – new opportunities. Proceedings of the 12th All-Russian Scientific Forum «Mother and Child». Moscow:319.
10. Kiselev VI, Sidorova IS, Hunanyan AL, Muyzhnek EL. 2010. Hyperplastic processes of female reproductive system: theory and practice. Moscow. PH «Medpraktika – M».
11. Klepikova AA, Sagamonova KYu, Kazantseva TA. 2007. Surgical interventions on the ovaries reasonable tactic or surgical aggression. Proceedings of the 9th All-Russian Scientific Forum "Mother and Child". Moscow:239-240.
12. Kuznetsova IV. 2012. The place of combined contraceptive drugs in medical prevention of genital endometriosis recurrence. 5(15):39-43.
13. Kuprienko NV, Malik AV. 2013. The most important complex treatment options of mucinous ovarian tumors. University hospital 1(9):111-114.
14. Logutova LS, Popov AA, Petrukhin VA et al. 2014. Surgical treatment of pregnant women with benign ovarian tumors. Questions of Oncology 3(60):392-395.
15. Marchenko LA. 2008. Current trends in the treatment of endometriosis. Gynecology 6(10):29-32.
16. Novikova YeG, Battalova GYu. 2007. Borderline ovarian tumors. Moscow. Ltd. «Medical News Agency»:152.
17. Novikova YeG, Shevchuk AS, Zavalishina LE. 2010. Some aspects of borderline ovarian tumors sparing treatment. Russian Journal of Oncology 4:15-20.
18. Novikova YeG, Shevchuk AS. 2014. Sparing treatment of patients with borderline ovarian tumors. Questions of Oncology 3(60):267-273.
19. Nosenko OM. 2013. Morphological aspects of the sparing operations feasibility in women of reproductive age with cystic ovarian benign entities interested in implementing reproductive function. Medical and social problems of the family 2(18):51-55.
20. Smith JR, Hili D, Del Priore J. 2010. Atlas of Staging Gynecological Cancer. Moscow. Practical medicine:40.
21. Pyrogova VI, Shurpyak SA, Kryvko BYa. 2015. Clinical aspects of long-term treatment of endometriosis by modern progestogen dienogest. Woman's Health 4(100):118-121.
22. Podzolkova NM, Korennaya VV. 2012. Oncoprotective effects of hormonal contraceptives. Gynecology 1(14):28-33.
23. Potapov VA, Polschikov PI, Finkova YeP. 2013. Targeted mechanisms of the antiproliferative effect of plant Tazalok ™ drug in uterine leiomyoma. Woman's Health 8:38-41.
24. Sidorova IS, OvsyannikovaTV. 2006. A Practical Guide to Clinical Gynecology: Tutorial. Moscow. MEDpress-Inform:448.
25. Rozhkovskaya NN, Gladchuk IZ, Alexandrov AL. 2007. Features integrated ultrasound in the preoperative diagnosis of ovarian tumor formations. Reproductive woman’s health 2:22-24.
26. Sazonova YeO, Gareeva LR. 2011. The effectiveness of Indinol in patients with fibrocystic mastopathy after surgical treatment of uterine fibroids. Proceedings of the 12th All-Russian Scientific Forum «Mother and Child». Moscow:407-408.
27. Sazonova EO, Digaeva MA. 2011. Select the access of surgical treatment in patients with epithelial ovarian tumors. Endoscopic surgery 2:23-28.
28. Tan'ko OP, Samoilova MV, Gaivoronskaya SI, Vygovskaya LA. 2012. Major and minor components in the treatment of endometriosis. Woman's Health 1(67):50-55.
29. Taratonov AV, Zharov AV, Gubaidullina TN, Kravchenko GR, Chernova LF, Shimotkina IG. 2013. Complex treatment of patients with advanced forms of ovarian cancer with the inclusion of the drug promisan. Oncology 4:20-24.
30. Uzdenova ZH, Shogenova FM, Shavaeva VA, Lepshokov RD, Berhamova ER, Dyshekova MH. 2011. The clinical efficacy of promisan in the treatment of mastopathy combined with uterine myoma and endometriosis. Proceedings of the 12th All-Russian Scientific Forum «Mother and Child». Moscow:433.
31. Chernenko Yelena. 2013. Targeted therapy is a trend of modern gynecology in the treatment of uterine leiomyoma. Caring for Woman 4(43):52-53.
32. Shlyakhova OV. 2005. Borderline ovarian tumors: treatment strategy and prognosis. Thesis for a candidate's degree of Medical sciences by speciality 14.01.07 – oncology:117.
33. Andreas Ebert D, Tina Wilson. 2011. Dienogest in the treatment of endometriosis. Woman's Health 6(62):35-38.
35. Bassuk SS, Manson JE. 2015. Oral contraceptives and menopausal hormone therapy: relative and attributable risks of cardiovascular disease, cancer, and other health outcomes. Ann Epidemiol. 25(3):193-200. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2014.11.004; PMid:25534509 PMCid:PMC4389282
36. Cadron I, Amant F, Van Gorp T, Neven P, Leunen K, Vergote I. 2006. The management of borderline tumours of the ovary. Curr Opin Oncol. 18(5):488-93. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.cco.0000239889.98289.ce; PMid:16894298
37. Crum CP, Drapkin R, Miron A, Ince TA, Muto M, Kindelberger DW, Lee Y. 2007. The distal fallopian tube: a new model for pelvic serous carcinogenesis. Curr Opin Obstet Ginecol. 19(1):3-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/GCO.0b013e328011a21f; PMid:17218844
38. Daraп E, Fauvet R, Uzan C, Gouy S, Duvillard P, Morice P. 2013. Fertility and borderline ovarian tumor: a systematic review of conservative management, risk of recurrence and alternative options. Hum Reprod Update. 19(2):151-66. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/humupd/dms047; PMid:23242913
39. Du Bois A, Ewald-Riegler N, du Bois O, Harter P. 2009. Borderline tumors of the ovary – a systematic review. Geburtsh Frauenheilk. 69:807-833. http://dx.doi.org/10.1055/s-0029-1186007
40. Fauvet R, Boccara J, Dufournet C, Poncelet C, Daraп E. 2005. Laparoscopic management of borderline ovarian tumors: results of a French multicenter study. Ann Oncol. 16(3):403-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdi083; PMid:15653700
41. Fortner RT, Ose J, Merritt MA et al. 2015. Reproductive and hormone-related risk factors for epithelial ovarian cancer by histologic pathways, invasiveness and histologic subtypes: Results from the EPIC cohort. Int J Cancer. 137(5):1196-208.
42. International Agency for Research on Cancer IARC. 2012. Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Man. Volume 100A-19, Pharmaceuticals: Combined Estrogen-Progestogen Contraceptives. Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer. 2012:283–311.
44. Lindsey Treviсo S, Elizabeth Buckles L and Patricia A Johnson. 2012. Oral contraceptives decrease the prevalence of ovarian cancer in the hen. Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 5(2):343–349. http://dx.doi.org/10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-11-0344; PMid:22135044 PMCid:PMC3273612
45. Longacre TA, Gilks CB. 2009. Surface epithelial stromal tumours of ovary. Gynecologic pathology. Elsevier Churchill Livingstone: 390-450.
46. Moorman PG, Havrilesky LJ, Gierisch JM et al. 2013. Oral contraceptives and risk of ovarian cancer and breast cancer among high-risk women: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Oncol. 31:4188–98. http://dx.doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2013.48.9021; PMid:24145348
48. Ouellet V et al. 2008. Immunohistochemical profiling of benign, low malignant potential and low grade serous epithelial ovarian tumors. BMC Cancer. 8:346. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-8-346; PMid:19032793 PMCid:PMC2610034
49. Palomba S, Falbo A, Del Negro S et al. 2010. Ultra-conservative fertility-sparing strategy for bilateral borderline ovarian tumours: an 11-year follow-up. Hum Reprod. 25(8):1966-72. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/humrep/deq159; PMid:20573679
50. Piek JM, van Diest PJ, Verheijen RH. 2008. Ovarian carcinogenesis: An alternatine hypothesis. Adv Exp Med Biol. 622:79-87. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-68969-2_7; PMid:18546620
51. Song T, Hun Choi C, Lee YY et al. 2011. Oncologic and reproductive outcomes of cystectomy compared with oophorectomy as a treatment for borderlineovarian tumours. Hum Reprod. 26(8):2008-14. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/humrep/der119; PMid:21511712
52. Summyia Farooq et al. 2013. Histopathological pattern of ovarian neoplasms and estrogen and progesterone receptor expression in primary epithelial tumours and their histopathological correlation. Int J Res Rev. 05(21):70-77.
53. Svintsitskiy VS, Vorobyova LI, Klymenko ES et al. 2013. Recurrence of borderline ovarian tumors. Experimental oncology 2(35):118-121.
54. Trillsch F, Mahner S, Ruetzel J, Harter P, Ewald-Riegler N, Jaenicke F, du Bois A. 2010. Clinical management of borderline ovarian tumors. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 10(7):1115-24. http://dx.doi.org/10.1586/era.10.90; PMid:20645700
55. Tropй CG, Kaern J, Davidson B. 2012. Borderline ovarian tumours. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 26(3):325-36. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bpobgyn.2011.12.006; PMid:22321906