- Levothyroxine substitution therapy in reproductive health and improving the quality of life of women of reproductive age with subclinical hypothyroidism
Levothyroxine substitution therapy in reproductive health and improving the quality of life of women of reproductive age with subclinical hypothyroidism
HEALTH OF WOMAN. 2017.10(126):39–42; doi 10.15574/HW.2017.126.39
Varchenko L. M.
Kyiv City Clinical Endocrinology Center
The objective: assessment of the dynamics of clinical manifestations of reproductive health (RH) and quality of life (QOL) under conditions of comorbidity in women of reproductive age with subclinical hypothyroidism (CGT) under the influence of replacement therapy with levothyroxine.
Materials and methods. The results of substitution treatment with levothyroxine drugs in 80 women of reproductive age with CGT are analyzed. The QL assessment was performed using a general MOS SF-36 questionnaire [7, 19] using the Evidence method.
Results. Substitution therapy with levothyroxine for 6 months was performed in 80 women of reproductive age with subclinical hypothyroidism; 47 women (58.8%) achieved complete eliminations of reproductive health disorders, general-somatic diseases, neuropsychological changes, elimination of comorbidity and improvement of quality of life in the MOS SF-36 questionnaire from medium to high. At the same time, in 33 women (41.2%), eliminations of reproductive health and comorbid manifestations in the non-genital area have survived. However, in these women, life quality indicators improved from medium to elevated values, however, they were leaner than in women without diseases.
Conclusions. The obtained data allow us to recommend the definition of quality of life indicators using the MOS SF-36 questionnaire as an integral criterion for evaluating the effectiveness of treatment in comorbid conditions in women of reproductive age with subclinical hypothyroidism.
Key words: subclinical hypothyroidism, substitution therapy, levothyroxine, comorbid conditions, quality of life, integral indicators of treatment efficacy.
1. Dvoretskiy L. 2012. Yatrogennyye sobytiya u pozhilykh bolnykh. Vrach. 5:14–17.
2. Kovalenko VM. 2014. Komorbidnist i shliakhy ratsionalnoi farmakoterapii v revmatolohii: dumka spetsialista. Ukr. revmatol. zhurnal 2(56):12–13.
3. Kosilova SE. 2013. Vplyv porushen stanu shchytopodibnoi zalozy na reproduktyvnu funktsiiu zhinochoho orhanizmu. Tekst. Bukovynskyi medychnyi visnyk 17;2:61–63.
4. Romanenko TG. Zhaloba GN. Chayka OI. 2015. Sovremennyy vzglyad akushera-ginekologa na patologiyu shchitovidnoy zhelezy i eye vliyaniye na reproduktivnoye zdorovye zhenshchiny (klinicheskaya lektsiya). Zdorovye zhenshchiny 2:8–14.
5. Tatarchuk TF. Zelinskaya NB. Bachinskaya IV. 2013. Antitkanevyye autoantitela u devochek prepubertatnogo i pubertatnogo perioda stradayushchikh autoimunnym tireoiditom. Tavricheskiy mediko-biologicheskiy vestnik 16;2;1(62):232–233.
6. Fadieienko HD, Nesen AO. 2015. Komorbidnist ta intehratyvna rol terapii vnutrishnikh orhaniv. Ukraynskyi terapevtycheskyi zhurnal 2:7–15.
7. Feshchenko YuI, Mostovoi YuM, Babiichuk YuV. 2002. Protsedura adaptatsii mizhnarodnoho opytuvalnyka otsinky yakosti zhyttia v Ukraini. Dosvid zastosuvannia u khvorykh na bronkhialnu astmu. Ukr. pulmonol. zhurn. 3:9–11.
8. Ajmani NS, Sarbhai V, Yadav N, Paul M, Ahmad A, Ajmani AK. 2016. Role of thyroid dysfunction in patients with menstrual disorders in tertiary care center of walled city of Delhi. J Obstet Gynaecol India. 66(2):115–9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13224-014-0650-0; PMid:27046965 PMCid:PMC4818825
9. Bartakova J, Potlukova E, Rogalewicz V et al. 2013. Screening for autoimmune thyroid disorders after spontaneous abortion is cost-saving and it improves the subsequent pregnancy rate. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 13: 217. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2393-13-217; PMid:24267864 PMCid:PMC4222272
10. Campbell-Scherer D. 2010. Multimorbidity: a challenge for evidence-based medicine. Evid. Based Med. 15(6):165–166. https://doi.org/10.1136/ebm1154; PMid:21106673
11. Garber JR, Cobin RH, Gnarib H et al. 2012. Clinical practice guidelines for hypothyroidism in adults: cosponsored by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and the American Thyroid Association. Endocr Pract.: 988–1028. https://doi.org/10.4158/EP12280.GL; PMid:23246686
12. Dredecjus M, Masson D, Gautier T et al. 2003. Low cholesteryl ester transfer protein (CETP) concentration, normal CETP activity in serum from patients with shortterm hypothyroidism. Lack of relationship to lipoprotein abnormalities. Clin Endocrinol. 58:581–588. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2265.2003.01755.x
13. Dunn D, Turner C. 2016. Hypothyroidism in women. NursWomens Health. 20(1):93–98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nwh.2015.12.002
14. Grossmann M, Hoermann R, Francis C, Hamilton EJ, Tint A, Kaitu’u-Lino T et al. 2013. Measuring thyroid peroxidase antibodies on the day nulliparous women present for management of miscarriage: a descriptive cohort study. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 11:40. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7827-11-40; PMid:23672306 PMCid:PMC3655833
15. Hekimsoy Z, Kafesçiler S, Güçlü F, Özmen B. 2010. The prevalence of hyperprolactinemia in overt and subclinical hypothyroidism. Endocr J. 57(12):1011–5. doi: 10.1507 endocrj. K10E-215.
16. Lazarus J, Brown RS, Daumerie C, Hubalewska-Dydejczyk A, Negro R, Vaidya B. 2014. 2014 European thyroid association guidelines for the management of subclinical hypothyroidism in pregnancy and in children. Eur Thyroid J. 3:76-94. https://doi.org/10.1159/000362597; PMid:25114871 PMCid:PMC4109520
17. Pasqualetti G, Tognini S, Polini A et al. 2013. Is subclinical hypothyroidism a cardiovascular risk factor in the elderly? J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 98:2256–2266. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2012-3818; PMid:23559085
18. Sinha R, Yen PM. Cellular Action of Thyroid Hormone. In: De Groot LJ, Beck-Peccoz P, Chrousos G, Dungan K, Grossman A, Hershman JM, Koch C, McLachlan R, New M, Rebar R, Singer F, Vinik A, Weickert MO, eds. Endotext. South Dartmouth, MA: MD Text.com, Inc. 2014.
19. Ware JE, Sherbourne CD. 1992. The MOS 36-item short form health survey (SF-36) Medical Care. 30:473–483. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199206000-00002; PMid:1593914
20. Warkentin LM, Das D, Majumdar SR, Johnson JA, Padwal RS. 2014. The effect of weight loss on health-related quality of life: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. Obesity Reviews. 15(3):169–182. doi: 10.1111 obr.12113.