- Intussusception in children. History and current state of problems (literature review)
Intussusception in children. History and current state of problems (literature review)
PAEDIATRIC SURGERY.UKRAINE.2019.1(62):75-81; DOI 10.15574/PS.2019.62.75
Dihtiar V. A., Savenko M. V.
SE «Dnipropetrovsk Medical Academy of Health Ministry of Ukraine» Dnipro, Ukraine
Acute intestinal intussusception in children is a frequent type of acquired intestinal obstruction and ranks second among nosologies in pediatric emergency surgery after acute appendicitis. Of course, today there remains an interest in the issue of improving the efficiency of diagnosis and treatment of this pathology of children. Laparoscopy allows you to identify invaginate, assess the condition of the intestine in the area of infringement and identify (or exclude) concomitant pathology contributing to the occurrence of invagination, and the simultaneous use of pneumocompression can greatly facilitate the smoothing of invaginate. Nevertheless, the number of scientific reports and works on, possibly, the negative effect of increased pressure in the abdominal cavity on the function of individual organs and systems of newborns and young children is not enough. That is why a number of questions about the safety of the use of laparoscopic method in the treatment of intussusception in infants in combination with pneumocompression, because at this moment there is a sharp increase in intra-abdominal pressure. Answers to questions can be obtained by studying the effect of combined pressure on the state of internal organs. This became the basis for conducting an appropriate clinical experimental study. The results of the study should determine the safe limits of intra-abdominal pressure when using the method of laparoscopy in combination with pneumocompression.
Key words: intussusception, laparoscopy, abdominal hypertension, children.
1. Belyaev МК. (2004). Intussusception in children: an extension of the indications for conservative treatment. Moscow: 192.
2. Belyaev МК. (2004). Experimental substantiation of safety of conservative treatment of intussusception in children. Pediatric Surgery. 3: 11–14.
3. Dihtiar VA, Savenko MV et al. (2016). Ultrasound diagnosis of intussusception in children. Collection of scientific works of staff members of NMAPE. 25. Kyiv: 141–147.
4. Dihtiar VA, Sushko VI, Barsuk OM et al. (2014). Diagnosis and modern treatment of intussusception in children. Dnipropetrovsk: 144.
5. Dronov AF, Poddubnyy IV. (2000). Laparoscopy in the diagnosis and treatment of intussusception. Pediatric Surgery. 6: 33–38.
6. Isakov YuF, Razumovskyy AYu. (2015). Pediatric Surgery. Moscow: 1040.
7. Kazakov AN, Yusufov AA. (2015). The role of ultrasound in the diagnosis and treatment of intestinal intussusception. Proceedings of the III Intercollegiate Scientific Practical Conference of Young Scientists. Tver: 128.
8. Kuzmichev PP, Voronov AV, Kuzmicheva NE. (2017). Abdominal compartment syndrome in children. Khabarovsk: 96.
9. Nikolaieva NG. (1999). Pediatric Surgery. Selected lectures. Odessa: 188.
10. Portnoy VM. (1964). Justification of the conservative method of treatment of intussusception in children. Dnipropetrovsk: 280.
11. Roshal LM. (1970). The method of conservative treatment of intussusception in children by dosed injection of air. Methods for the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of diseases, developed and improved in Moscow Regional Research and Clinical Institute. Moscow: 62–63.
12. Rusak PS, Rybalchenko VF, Stakhov VV, Akmollaev ES. (2012). Treatment of intussusception in children. Paediatric surgery. Ukraine. 2019. 1: 71–74.
13. Rusak PS, Rybalchenko VF, Stakhov VV. (2015). Modern aspects of diagnosis and treatment of intussusception in children. Actual questions of children's surgery. In Collection of materials of the VII Republican scientific-practical conference with international participation, dedicated to the 30th anniversary of the Department of Pediatric Surgery. Grodno: 277–278.
14. Sushko VI, Kryvchenia DYu, Dihtiar VA. (2014). Pediatric Surgery. Kyiv: Medycyna: 586.
15. Temnova VA. (2010). Clinical and echographic criteria for justifying treatment tactics in children with intussusception. Diss. of the cand. of med. sc. Moscow: 155.
16. Khristich AD, Portnoy VM. (1977). Treatment of intussusception in children. Clinical surgery. 6: 9–12.
17. Bax KNMA, Georgeson KE, Rothenberg SS, Valla J-S, Yeung CK. (2008). Endoscopic Surgery in Infants and Children. Berlin: Springer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co: 833. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-49910-7
18. George WH, Patrick JM, Daniel JO. (2014). Ashcraft’s Pediatric Surgery. (6th ed.). London; New York: Saunders: 1192.
19. Gibbs DD. (1992). Sir Frederick Treves: surgeon, author and medical historian. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine. London. 85: 565–569.
20. Hamilton BD, Chow GK, Inman SR, Stowe NT, Winfield HN. (1998). Increased intra-abdominal pressure during pneumoperitoneum stimulates endothelin release in a canine model. Journal of endourology. 12 (2): 193–7. https://doi.org/10.1089/end.1998.12.193; PMid:9607449
21. Ito Y, Kusakawa I, Murata Y, Ukiyama E, Kawase H, Kamagata S, Ueno S, Osamura T, Kubo M, Yoshida M. (2012). Japanese guidelines for the management of intussusception in children, 2011. Pediatrics international: official journal of the Japan Pediatric Society, 54:948–58. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-200X.2012.03622_1.x; PMid:22748165
22. Jenke AC, Klaassen-Mielke R, Zilbauer M, Heininger U, Trampisch HJ, Wirth S. (2011). Intussusception: incidence and treatment-insights from the nationwide German surveillance. Journal of pediatric gastroenterology and nutrition. 52(4): 446–51. https://doi.org/10.1097/MPG.0b013e31820e1bec; PMid:21415671
23. Lloyd GER. (1983). Hippocratic Writings, fourth edition. London: Harmondsworth: Penguin: 380.
24. Mitchell S. (1836). Intussusception in Children. Lancet. London: 1837–1838. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(02)82260-7
25. Raffensperger JG. (2012). Children’s surgery: a worldwide history. London: McFarland, Incorporated, Publishers: 347.
26. Ravitch MM, McCune Jr. RM. (1948). Reduction of Intussusception by Hydrostatic Pressure: An Experimental Study. Bulletin of Johns Hopkins Hospital. 82: 550–568.
27. Schafer M, Sagesser H, Krahenbuhl L. (2000). Liver and splanchnic hemodynamic changes in rats during laparoscopy. Surg Endosc. 14: 216–217. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-8278(00)81181-2
28. Stringer MD, Willettz IE. (2000). John Hunter, Frederick Treves and Intussusception. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons. 82: 18–23.
29. VanHouwelingen LT, Seims AD, Ortega-Laureano L, Coleman JL, McCarville MB, Davidoff AM, Fernandez-Pineda I. (2018). Use of ultrasound in diagnosing postoperative small-bowel intussusception in pediatric surgical oncology patients: a singlecenter retrospective review. Pediatr Radiol. 48 (2): 204–209. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00247-017-4018-3; PMid:29085966
Article received: Nov 16, 2018. Accepted for publication: Mar 05, 2019.