- The importance of palliative care studying for students of medical universities
The importance of palliative care studying for students of medical universities
The preparation system, personnel retraining
INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL REHABLITATION AND PALLIATIVE MEDICINE.2017.1-2(5-6):34-38; doi 10.15574/IJRPM.2017.5-6.34
Zh. M. Zolotarova
SHEI «Ivano-Frankivsk National Medical University», Ukraine
Objective. To study the awareness of graduate students of medical university and practical health workers in palliative care and to propose recommendations for improving the existing system of students’ training at the undergraduate level of education.
Material and methods. In total 252 graduate students and 389 workers of health care facilities in Ivano-Frankivsk were interviewed.
Results. It was found the deficit and significant deformations of knowledge of graduate students and palliative care practitioners. It was scientifically grounded and developed a typical curriculum “Palliative and Hospice Care” for students of the medical universities, which validity was confirmed by independent qualified experts.
Conclusion. The peculiarities of palliative care require the use of vertical and horizontal interdisciplinary integration to form an appropriate set of knowledge and skills among students of medical universities.
Key words: palliative care, undergraduate medical education.
1. Voronenko YuV, Hubskyi YuI, Tsarenko AV. (2014). Stvorennia systemy paliatyvnoi i khospisnoi dopomohy v umovakh reformuvannia okhorony zdorov’ia Ukrainy: medychni ta sotsialni aspekty. Okhorona zdorov’ia i suspilstvo. 1(2): 63–75.
2. Hoida NH, Hubskyi YuI, Kniazevych VM ta in. (2014). Medyko-sotsialna kharakterystyka orhanizatsii systemy paliatyvnoi ta khospisnoi dopomohy v Ukraini. Zb. nauk. pr. spivrob. NMAPO imeni P.L. Shupyka. 23(3): 101–115.
3. Kniazevych VM, Hubskyi YuI, Tsarenko AV ta in. (2013). Pidhotovka studentiv z pytan nadannia paliatyvnoi dopomohy naselenniu: mizhnarodnyi ta natsionalnyi dosvid. Aktualni pytannia nadannia paliatyvnoi ta khospisnoi dopomohy v Ukraini. Medyko-iurydychni ta farmatsevtychni aspekty. Materialy Druhoi nauk.-prakt. konf., m. Kyiv, 20–21 lystop. 2013 r. Za red. Yu.V. Voronenka, Yu.I. Hubskoho. Kyiv: Talkom: 22–32.
4. Hlushko LV, Pozur NZ, Chaplynska NV ta in. (2013). Pro shliakhy polipshennia pidhotovky likarskykh kadriv z pytan paliatyvnoi medytsyny. Vprovadzhennia standartiv nadannia paliatyvnoi dopomohy. Materialy nauk.-prakt. konf. z mizhnar. uch., m. Ivano-Frankivsk, 26–27 ver. 2013 r. Za red. I.P. Vakaliuka, O.Z. Detsyk. Ivano-Frankivsk: Misto NV: 34–35.
5. Tsarenko AV. (2013). Mizhnarodni stratehii, pidkhody ta standarty orhanizatsii systemy nadannia paliatyvnoi ta khospisnoi dopomohy. Fitoterapiia. 4: 8–12.
6. Core competencies in palliative care: an EAPC White Paper on palliative care education – part 1. (2013). European Journal of Palliative Care. 20(2): 86–91.
7. Core competencies in palliative care: an EAPC White Paper on palliative care education – part 2. (2013). European Journal of Palliative Care. 20(3): 140–145.
8. Palliative Care (Cancer Control: knowledge into action: WHO guide for effective programmes; module 5). Geneva, WHO, 2007. http://www.who.int/cancer/media/FINAL-PalliativeCareModule.pdf.
9. Palliative care for older people: better practices. Regional Office for Europe, WHO, 2011. http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/143153/e95052.pdf.
10. Recommendations of the European Association for Palliative Care for the Development of Postgraduate Curricula leading to Certification in Palliative Medicine. Milano, EAPC, 2009. – 44 p. http://www.eapcnet.eu/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=2DHXbM1zaMI%3d.
11. Recommendations of the European Association for Palliative Care (EAPC) For the Development of Undergraduate Curricula in Palliative Medicine аt European Medical Schools: report of the EAPC Steering Group on Medical Education and Training in Palliative Care. 2013. – 24 p. http://www.eapcnet.eu/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=S1MI-tuIutQ%3D.