- Features of the respiratory diseases pathogenesis in children with benign mediastinal formations
Features of the respiratory diseases pathogenesis in children with benign mediastinal formations
Paediatric Surgery.2017.3(56):120-122; doi 10.15574/PS.2017.56.120
Kravchuk B. О., Sokur P. P., Getman V. G.
Shupyk National Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education, Kyiv, Ukraine
Authors analysed treatment outcomes in 294 children with mediastinal benign tumors and cysts. Two variants of clinical course were identified: asymptomatic and typical. Mediastinal compression syndrome was the main manifestation in the typical clinical course. Depending upon organ compression there were five syndromes identified: respiratory, hemodynamic, dysphagic, neurogenic, osteogenic. The main syndrome was respiratory one. The «local immobilization» of respiratory tract was indicated as the first level of airways compression and trigger mechanism in pathogenesis of respiratory syndrome. The diagnosis is made primarily by radiologic method. The treatment of benign mediastinal formations is surgical.
Key words: children, mediastinum, tumors, clinical syndromes, pathogenesis.
1. Ashkraft KU, Holder TM. (1996). Detskaya hirurgiya. Vol I. Sankt-Peterburg, Hardford: 244–254.
2. Kravchuk BA, Sokur PP, Sliva VV. (2014). Kliniko-diagnosticheskie aspektyi dobrokachestvennyih obrazovaniy sredosteniya u detey. British Journal of Science, Education and Culture. III; 1(5): 197–206.
3. Krivchenya DYu, Slepov AK, Chumakova LF. (2001). Vnutrigrudnyie kompressii dyihatelnyih putey, obuslovlennyie teratodermoidnyimi opuholyami sredosteniya u detey. Vrachebnoe delo. 4: 92–95.
4. Kirks DR, Fram EK, Vock P et al. (1982). Tracheal compression by mediastinal masses in children and adolescents. Radiologi. 145: 361-364.