- The efficiency of objective structured clinical examination in the post-graduate preparation of internship doctors specializing in pediatrics
The efficiency of objective structured clinical examination in the post-graduate preparation of internship doctors specializing in pediatrics
SOVREMENNAYA PEDIATRIYA.2019.1(97):46-48; doi 10.15574/SP.2019.97.46
Synoverska O. B., Tsymbalista O. L., Semkovych Y. V., Fomenko N. M., Vovk Z. V., Berezna T. G., Semianchuk V. B., Bobrykovych O. S.
Ivano–Frankivsk National Medical University, Ukraine
Although the traditional clinical examination which consists of complicated extentsive cases (long cases), short clinical scenarios and face-to-face contact with the patient has positive aspects, it is substantially limited in terms of predicting reliability and objectivity. The introduction of the structured tests allowed to overcome such limitations. Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSСЕ) was created to increase credibility and accuracy of performance evaluation in pre-graduate and post-graduate clinical education. In 2018 the staff of the Department of Children's Diseases of Post-Graduate Education for the first time conducted an overall assessment of the knowledge and skills of the internship doctors in the 2nd year of training at the final certification stage by means of OSCE methodology. The results of the exam in percent composition are as follows: excellent — 10.5%, good — 50.1%, satisfactory — 26.3%, unsatisfactory — 13.1%. The postgraduate students whose OSСЕ result was unsatisfactory had the opportunity to retake the exam the next day (the tasks have been changed, however the level of difficulty was similar to the previous ones). OSСЕ examination is the requirement the contemporary medical education. A more extensive selection of competencies and the use of structured marking sheets contribute to increasing of the reliability and sufficiency of the content, and thus the impartiality and objectivity of the exam.
Key words: objective structured clinical examination, pediatrics, intership doctor.
1. Klyhunenko OM, Yekhalov VV, Sedinkin VA, Khalymonchyk VV. (2016). Vprovadzhennia obiektyvnoho strukturovanoho klinichnoho ispytu dlia promizhnoi atestatsii likariv-interniv I roku navchannia za fakhom «Anesteziolohiia ta intensyvna terapiia». Pivdennoukrainskyi medychnyi naukovyi zhurnal. 14(14): 54—57.
2. Oyuungoo B, Tserendagva D, Solongo B i dr. (2010). Formativnaya otsenka klinicheskih navyikov studentov v OSCE. Sibirskiy meditsinskiy zhurnal. 98; 7: 12—13.
3. Pylypenko MM, Rybinkina I, Bondar MV, Shlapak IP. (2015). Strukturovanyi klinichnyi ispyt z anesteziolohii u Velykii Brytanii: dosvid vprovadzhennia v Ukraini. Medytsyna neotlozhnыkh sostoianyi. 1: 178—184.
4. Pylypenko MM, Rybinkina I, Shlapak IP. (2014). Pershyi dosvid vprovadzhennia Brytanskoho variantu ekzamenu za systemoiu OSCE naprykintsi dvorichnoi internatury. Bil, znebolennia ta intensyvna terapiia. 3: 5—14.
5. Shponka IS, Snisar VI, Klyhunenko OM ta in. (2018). Tryrichnyi dosvid vprovadzhennia ispytu OSCE dlia promizhnoi atestatsii likariv-interniv za spetsialnistiu «anesteziolohiia ta intensyvna terapiia». Medytsyna neotlozhnыkh sostoianyi. 6: 178—184.
6. Kilminster S, Roberts T. (2004). Standard setting for OSCEs: trial of borderline approach. Adv. Health Sci. Educ. Theory Pract. 9(3): 201—209. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:AHSE.0000038208.06099.9a; PMid:15316271
7. Pell G, Fuller R, Horner M, Roberts T. (2010). How to measure the quality of the OSCE: A review of metrics — AMEE guide no. 49. Med Teach. 32: 802—11. https://doi.org/10.3109/0142159X.2010.507716; PMid:20854155
8. Reiter HI, Rosenfeld J, Nandagopal K et al. (2004). Do clinical clerks provide candidates with adequate formative assessment during Objective Structured Clinical Examinations? Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract. 9(3): 189—199. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:AHSE.0000038172.97337.d5; PMid:15316270
9. Royal College of Anaesthetist. http: www.rcoa.ac.uk/examination
10. Royal College of Anaesthetists. (2010). CCT in Anaesthetics: Competency Based Basic Level (ST years 1 and 2) Training and Assessment. AMEE guide no. 25. Med Teach. 30: 701—13.
Article received: Sep 30, 2018. Accepted for publication: Jan 29, 2019.