- Dependence of the rate of stress-induced ulcers on acidity of gastric juice in the post-surgery period in children
Dependence of the rate of stress-induced ulcers on acidity of gastric juice in the post-surgery period in children
PAEDIATRIC SURGERY.UKRAINE.2018.2(59):51-54; DOI 10.15574/PS.2018.59.51
Iskra Іu. A., Bіlyaev A. V.
Shupyk National Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education, Kyiv, Ukraine
Objective: to analyse the dependence of stress-induced erosive and ulcerous changes of the gastrointestinal mucosa (GIMCs) in the post-surgery period on the acidity level of gastric juice.
Material and methods. In children with surgical pathology in the pre-surgery period and in 3 days after the operation, fibroesophagogastroduodenoscopy was performed using the Olimpus Evis Lucera CLV-260SL apparatus (Olimpus, Japan); the acidity of the intragastric contents was determined by using the acidogastrograph АГ-1рН-М (manufactured by Start LLC, Ukraine), which was provided during the endoscopic studies and intraoperative express monitoring.
Results. GIMCs were detected in 25 children in the post-surgery period that made up 33.3% of all examined patients. The dynamics of intragastric pH was as follows: mean pH for all patients – 4.09; mean pH for the patients with GIMCs – 3.48; mean pH for the patients without manifestations of GIMCs – 4.35. The gastric juice pH value during the intraoperative monitoring in patients with manifestations of GIMCs in the post-surgery period was on average 2.05+/-0.23 (р=0.0001), while in patients without the postoperative GI complications – 3.42+/-0.97 (р=0.0001).
Conclusions. The GIMCs rate in the post-surgery period in children is 33.3%, which determines the relevance of the chosen direction of the research. A significant factor in the formation of stress ulcers and erosions is also the acidity of gastric juice with a tendency to lower pH values in patients with GIMCs.
Key words: stress-induced mucosal disease, ulcer, erosion, gastrointestinal tract, gastric juice pH, surgery.
1. Kulakova E.V. (2015). Posleoperatsionnyie ostryie erozii i yazvyi – ih kliniko-biohimicheskiy prognoz. Avtoref. dis. kand. med. nauk. Saratov.
2. Kurbonov H.H. (2014). Endoskopicheskaya diagnostika i lechenie posleoperatsionnyih zheludochno-kishechnyih krovotecheniy. Avtoref. diss. kand. med. nauk. Moskva.
3. Hohlova E.E. (2016). Kliniko-morfologicheskaya harakteristika ostryih eroziy, yazv zheludka i dvenadtsatiperstnoy kishki v bolnyih terapevticheskogo i nevrologicheskogo profilya. Avtoref. diss. kand. med. nauk. M.
4. Abaitua Bilbao J.M., Manzanos Gutierrez J. (2014, Jan). Digestive hemorrhages and urological surgery. Apropos of 11 cases. Acta Urol Belg. 42(1): 7-27.
5. Brunton L.L., Chabner B.A., Knollmann B.C. (2015). Goodman and Gilmans pharmacological basis of therapeutics. 12th Edition. McGraw-Hill. Medical Publishing Division: 1648.
6. Conrad S.A., Gabrielli A., Margolis B. et al. (2015, Apr). Randomized, double-blind comparison of immediate-release omeprazole oral suspension versus intravenous cimetidine for the prevention of upper gastrointestinal bleeding in critically ill patients. Crit Care Med. 33(4): 760-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.CCM.0000157751.92249.32
7. Yang Y., Metz. D. (2016). Safety of proton pump inhibitor exposure. Gastroenterology. 139: 1115–1127. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2010.08.023; PMid:20727892