- The application of the vaginal form of Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium is a reasonable choice in the treatment of vaginal infections
The application of the vaginal form of Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium is a reasonable choice in the treatment of vaginal infections
HEALTH OF WOMAN. 2018.8(134):90–92; doi 10.15574/HW.2018.134.90
Lakhno I. V.
Kharkiv Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education
The condition of vaginal ecology is largely determined by the presence of resident strains of lactobacilli. The reducing amount or loss of lactobacilliar biotope contributes to the appearance of vaginal dysbiosis. The protective properties of vaginal probiotics containing Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium were considered in the article. The possibilities of suppositoria usage in the treatment of vaginitis, bacterial vaginosis and for the prevention of the vaginal dysbiosis during antibiotic therapy were shown.
Key words: bacterial vaginosis, probiotics, Florica.
1. Pyrohova VI, Feita YuR, Shurpiak SO. (2018). Klinichna efektyvnist korektsii stanu mikrobioty pikhvy u zhinok z porushenniamy reproduktyvnoho zdorovia i pisliapolohovymy uskladnenniamy v anamnezi. Zdorovia zhinky 5:40-43.
2. Allsworth JE. (2010). Bacterial vaginosis–race and sexual transmission: issues of causation. Sex Transm Dis. 37:137–139. https://doi.org/10.1097/OLQ.0b013e3181d36bdc; PMid:20118829
3. Bradshaw СS, Tabrizi SN, Fairley СК et al. (2006). The association of Atopobium vaginae and Gardnerella vaginalis with bacterial vaginosis and recurrence after oral metronidazole therapy. The Journal of infectious diseases 194;6:828-836.
4. Foschi C, Salvo M, Cevenini R et al. (2017). Vaginal Lactobacilli Reduce Neisseria gonorrhoeae Viability through Multiple Strategies: An in Vitro Study. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 6;7:502.
5. Gaspar C, Donders GG, Palmeira-de-Oliveira R et al. (2018). Bacteriocin production of the probiotic Lactobacillus acidophilus KS400. AMB Express. 8;1:153.
6. Giordani B, Melgoza LM, Parolin C et al. (2018). Vaginal Bifidobacterium breve for preventing urogenital infections: Development of delayed release mucoadhesive oral tablets. Int J Pharm. 550;1-2:455-462.
7. Gupta V, Nag D, Garg P. (2017). Recurrent urinary tract infections in women: How promising is the use of probiotics? Indian J Med Microbiol. 35;3:347-354. https://doi.org/10.4103/ijmm.IJMM_16_292; PMid:29063878
8. Kang CH, Kim Y, Han SH et al. (2018). In vitro probiotic properties of vaginal Lactobacillus fermentum MG901 and Lactobacillus plantarum MG989 against Candida albicans. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. Is. 228:232-237.
9. Mc Millan A, Rulisa S, Gloor GB et al. (2018). Pilot assessment of probiotics for pregnant women in Rwanda. PLoS One. 13;6:e0195081.
10. Muzny CA, Schwebke JR. (2015). Biofilms: an underappreciated mechanism of treatment failure and recurrence in vaginal infections. Clin Infect Dis. 61:601–606. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/civ353; PMid:25935553 PMCid:PMC4607736
11. Muzny CA, Schwebke JR. (2016). Pathogenesis of Bacterial Vaginosis: Discussion of Current Hypotheses. J Infect Dis. 214;1:1-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/infdis/jiw121; PMid:27449868 PMCid:PMC4957507
12. Olsen P, Williamson M, Traynor V, Georgiou C. (2018). The impact of oral probiotics on vaginal Group B Streptococcal colonisation rates in pregnant women: A pilot randomised control study. Women Birth. 31;1:31-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wombi.2017.06.012; PMid:28668229
13. Perez MAM, Segura MZ, Dominguez RN, Condon VP. (2017). Use of probiotics in bacterial vaginosis. Semergen. 43;5:394-398. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semerg.2016.09.002; PMid:27856152
14. Reid G. (2018). Has knowledge of the vaginal microbiome altered approaches to health and disease? F1000Res. 13;7:460.
15. Reid G, Hammond JA, Bruce AW. (2003). Effect of lactobacilli oral supplement on the vaginal microflora of antibiotic treated patients: randomized placebo controlled study. Nutraceut Food. 8:1458. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2003.8.2.145
16. Tachedjian G, Aldunate M, Bradshaw CS, Cone RA. (2017). The role of lactic acid production by probiotic Lactobacillus species in vaginal health. Res Microbiol. 168;9-10:782-792.
17. Tan H, Fu Y, Yang C, Ma J. (2017). Effects of metronidazole combined probiotics over metronidazole alone for the treatment of bacterial vaginosis: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 295;6:1331-1339. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00404-017-4366-0; PMid:28386675
18. Xie HY, Feng D, Wei DM et al. (2017). Probiotics for vulvovaginal candidiasis in non-pregnant women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 23;11:CD010496.