- Application of phantoms for practicing practical skills of students from the IV course of the dental faculty in teaching pediatric therapeutic dentistry
Application of phantoms for practicing practical skills of students from the IV course of the dental faculty in teaching pediatric therapeutic dentistry
Modern Pediatrics.Ukraine.2020.3(107): 99-101; doi 10.15574/SP.2020.107.99
Lisecka I. S.
Ivano–Frankivsk National Medical University, Ukraine
For citation: Lisecka IS. (2020). Application of phantoms for practicing practical skills of students from the IV course of the dental faculty in teaching pediatric therapeutic dentistry. Modern Pediatrics. Ukraine. 3(107): 99–101; doi 10.15574/SP.2020.107.99
Article received: Dec 26, 2019. Accepted for publication: Apr 01, 2020.
The specificity of dental education is that at the same time it is necessary to develop excellent theoretical and practical manual skills, which is caused by the manipulation of a small instrument in a limited space in the oral cavity.
Objective. To cover the experience of improving the quality of mastering the practical skills of the students of the IV course of the dental faculty in teaching pediatric therapeutic dentistry. For effective formation of practical skills of the students of the 4th year of the dental faculty in teaching pediatric therapeutic dentistry, it is advisable to adhere to the following steps: 1) familiarization and memorization of the algorithm of performing a certain list of practical actions; 2) a clear understanding of ways of performing actions, mastering their individual elements, repeated repetition of a certain list of actions; 3) automation of elements of action, improvement of performance of skills, transition to muscular control; 4) consolidation of the skill, mastering the arbitrary regulation of the nature of the action.
Conclusions. The use of phantoms for practicing the practical skills of students of the 4th year of the dental faculty in teaching pediatric dentistry has a positive effect on the assimilation of the practical part of them, stimulates them to work more actively independently, to develop practical skills that are necessary for their professional activity.
No conflict of interest was declared by the author.
Key words: dentistry, education, students, practical skills, phantom.
1. Kolesnik TV, Smolyanova OV. (2018). Use of master classes for the formation of skills of performing medical manipulations at the Department of Propaedeutics of Internal Medicine. Medical education. 1: 79–81.
2. Maksimenko SD, Filonenko MM. (2014). Pedagogy of Higher Education. Textbook. Kyiv: Publishing House Center for Educational Literature: 286.
3. Petrushenko TO, Ostrovska LJ, Popovich IY. (2016). The importance of phantom training in the formation of practical skills of future dentists. Ukrainian dental almanac. 1(2): 94–7.
4. Samoilenko AV, Salyuk OD, Orychenko VY, Babenko VM et al. (2012). The experience of teaching propaedeutics of therapeutic dentistry in the conditions of the credit0module system of organization of the educational process. Medical perspectives. 4(17): 15–7.
5. Shcherbatiuk NU, Gorishny IM, Chernomidz IB. (2019). Students acquire practical skills in the study of pediatrics. Medical education.3: 35–8.