- Antibiotic prophylaxis for gynecological interventions before and during the use of assisted reproductive technologies: a systematic review
Antibiotic prophylaxis for gynecological interventions before and during the use of assisted reproductive technologies: a systematic review
HEALTH OF WOMAN. 2018.1(127):55–60; doi 10.1155/2016/4698314
Nigel Pereira, Anne P. Hutchinson, Jovana P. Lekovich, Elie Hobeika, Rony T. Elias
e Ronald O. Perelman and Claudia Cohen Center for Reproductive Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 10021, USA
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 10021, USA
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, North Shore Long Island Jewish Staten Island University Hospital, Staten Island, NY 10309, USA
1. Sunderam S, Kissin DM, Crawford SB et al. 2015. Assisted reproductive technology surveillance—United States, 2012. MMWR Surveillance Summaries. 64;supplement 6:1–29.
2. ACOG Committee on Practice Bulletins—Gynecology. ACOG practice bulletin 104: antibiotic prophylaxis for gynecologic procedures. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2009. 113;5:1180–1189.
3. Sirota I, Zarek SM and Segars JH. 2014. Potential in uence of the microbiome on infertility and assisted reproductive technology. Seminars in Reproductive Medicine 32;1:35–42.
4. Van Eyk N, van Schalkwyk J. 2012. Infectious Diseases Com- mittee. Antibiotic prophylaxis in gynaecologic procedures. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 34;4:382–391,
5. Ledger WJ. 2006. Prophylactic antibiotics in obstetrics-gynecology: a current asset, a future liability? Expert Review of Anti- Infective therapy 4;6:957–964.
6. Hemsell DL. 1991. Prophylactic antibiotics in gynecologic and obstetric surgery. Reviews of Infectious Diseases 13;10:S821–S841.
7. Morrill MY, Schimpf MO, Abed H et al. 2013. Antibiotic prophylaxis for selected gynecologic surgeries. International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics 120;1:10–15.
8. Thinkhamrop J, Laopaiboon M and Lumbiganon P. 2013. Prophylactic antibiotics for transcervical intrauterine procedures. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 5, Article ID CD005637.
9. Wright JD, Hassan K, Ananth CV et al. 2013. Use of guideline-based antibiotic prophylaxis in women undergoing gynecologic surgery. Obstetrics and Gynecology 122;6:1145–1153.
10. Shavell VI, Le IP and Yelian FD. 2009. Tuboovarian abscess a er saline infusion sonohysterography: an unusual complication. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology 16;5:652–654.
11. Liberati A, Altman DG, Tetzla J et al. 2009. e PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate healthcare interventions: explanation and elaboration. e British Medical Journal. 339. article b2700.
12. Huang JY and Rosenwaks Z. 2014. Assisted reproductive tech- niques. in Human Fertility: Methods and Protocols: 171–231. Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1st edition.
13. American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists. AAGL practice report: practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of endometrial polyps. e Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology. 2012. 19;1:3–10.
14. Practice Committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Endometriosis and infertility:acommitteeopinion, Fertility and Sterility. 2012. 98;3:591–598.
15. ACR Practice Parameter for the Performance of Hysterosalpin- gography Res. 50-2011. Amended 2014 (Res. 39). 2015. http:// www.acr.org/Quality-Safety/Standards-Guidelines/Practice- Guidelines-by-Modality/Radiography.
16. Pereira N, Petrini AC, Lekovich JP, Elias RT and Spandorfer SD. 2015. Surgical management of endometrial polyps in infertile women: a comprehensive review, Surgery Research and Practice. 2015:7, Article ID 914390.
17. Møller BR, Allen J, Toft B, Hansen KB and Taylor-Robinson D. 1984. Pelvic in ammatory disease a er hysterosalpingography associated with Chlamydia trachomatis and Mycoplasma hominis, British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 91;12:1181–1187.
18. Pittaway DE, Winfield AC, Maxson W, Daniell J, Herbert C and Wentz AC. 1983. Prevention of acute pelvic in ammatory disease a er hysterosalpingography: e cacy of doxycycline prophylaxis, American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 147;6:623–626.
19. American College of Obstetrics and Gynecologist Technology Assessment. Saline infusion sonohysterography, International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics. 2004. 84;1:95–98.
20. Hill LM. 2015. Saline Infusion Sonohysterography. https:// iame.com/saline-infusion-sonohysterography.html
21. Seshadri S, El-Toukhy T, Douiri A, Jayaprakasan K and Khalaf Y. 2015. Diagnostic accuracy of saline infusion sonography in the evaluation of uterine cavity abnormalities prior to assisted reproductive techniques: a systematic review and metaanalyses. Human Reproduction Update 21;2:262– 274.
22. Jansen FW, de Kroon CD, van Dongen H, Grooters C, Louwe L and Trimbos-Kemper T. 2006. Diagnostic hysteroscopy and saline infusion sonography: prediction of intrauterine polyps and myomas. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology 13;4:320–324.
23. Syrop CH and Sahakian V. 1992. Transvaginal sonographic detection of endometrial polyps with uid contrast augmentation. Obstetrics & Gynecology 79;6:1041–1043.
24. Dessole S, Farina M, Rubattu G, Cosmi E, Ambrosini G and Nardelli GB. 2003. Side e ects and complications of sonohysteros-alpingography. Fertility and Sterility 80;3:620–624.
25. Dubinsky TJ, Parvey HR, Gormaz G, Curtis M and Maklad N. 1995. Transvaginal hysterosonography: comparison with biopsy in the evaluation of postmenopausal bleeding. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine 14;12:887–893.
26. Bonnamy L, Marret H, Perrotin F, Body G, Berger C and Lansac J. 2002. Sonohysterography: a prospective survey of results and complications in 81 patients. European Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology and Reproductive Biology 102;1:42–47.
27. Di Spiezio Sardo A, Taylor A, Tsirkas P, Mastrogamvrakis G, Sharma M and Magos A. 2008. Hysteroscopy: a technique for all? Analysis of 5,000 outpatient hysteroscopies. Fertility and Sterility 89;2:438–443.
28. Cooper NA, Clark TJ, Middleton L et al. 2015. Outpatient versus inpatient uterine polyp treatment for abnormal uterine bleeding: randomised controlled non-inferiority study. British Medical Journal. 350:h1398–h1398.
29. Golan A, Sagiv R, Berar M, Ginath S and Glezerman M. 2001. Bipolar electrical energy in physiologic solution—a revolution in operative hysteroscopy. Journal of the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists 8;2:252–258.
30. Emanuel MH and Wamsteker K. 2005. e Intra Uterine Morcellator: a new hysteroscopic operating technique to remove intrauterine polyps and myomas. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology 12;1:62–66.
31. Litta P, Cosmi E, Saccardi C, Esposito C, Rui R and Ambrosini G. 2008. Outpatient operative polypectomy using a 5 mm- hysteroscope without anaesthesia and/or analgesia: advantages and limits. European Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology and Reproductive Biology 139;2:210–214.
32. Pluchino N, Ninni F, Angionietal S. 2010. O cevaginoscopichys- teroscopy in infertile women: e ects of gynecologist experience, instrument size, and distention medium on patient discomfort», Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology. 17;3:344–350.
33. McCausland VM, Fields GA, McCausland AM and Townsend DE. 1993. Tuboovarian abscesses a er operative hysteroscopy. Journal of Reproductive Medicine for the Obstetrician and Gynecologist. 38;3:198–200.
34. Agostini A, Cravello L, Shojai R, Ronda I, Roger V and Blanc B. 2002. Postoperative infection and surgical hysteroscopy. Fertility and Sterility 77;4:766–768.
35. Bhattacharya S, Parkin DE, Reid TMS, Abramovich DR, Mollison J and Kitchener HC. 1995. A prospective randomised study of the e ects of prophylactic antibiotics on the incidence of bacteraemia following hysteroscopic surgery. European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology & Reproductive Biology 63;1:37–40.
36. Kasius JC, Broekmans FJ, Fauser BC, Devroey P and Fatemi HM. 2011. Antibiotic prophylaxis for hysteroscopy evaluation of the uterine cavity. Fertility and Sterility 95;2:792–794.
37. Gregoriou O, Bakas P, Grigoriadis C, Creatsa M, Sofoudis C and Creatsas G. 2012. Antibiotic prophylaxis in diagnostic hysteroscopy: is it necessary or not? European Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology and Reproductive Biology 163;2:190–192.
38. Nappi L, Di Spiezio Sardo A, Spinelli M et al. 2013. A multicenter, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study to assess whether antibiotic administration should be recommended during o ce operative hysteroscopy. Reproductive Sciences 20;7:755–761.
39. Practice Committee of American Society for Reproductive Medicine in collaboration with Society of Reproductive Surgeons. Salpingectomy for hydrosalpinx prior to in vitro fertilization. Fertility and Sterility. 2008. 90;5:supplement:S66–S68.
40. Johnson N, van Voorst S, Sowter MC, Strandell A and Mol BW. 2010. «Surgical treatment for tubal disease in women due to undergo in vitro fertilisation», Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 1. Article ID CD002125.
41. Darzi A and Mackay S. 2002. «Recent advances in minimal access surgery», e British Medical Journal 324;7328:31–34.
42. Schimpf MO, Morrill MY, Margulies RU, Ward RM, Carberry CL and Sung VW. 2012. «Surgeon practice patterns for antibiotic prophylaxis in gynecologic surgery», Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery 18;5:281–285.
43. Kocak I, Ustün C, Emre B and Uzel A. 2005. Antibiotics prophylaxis in laparoscopy. Ceska Gynekologie 70;4:269–272.
44. Litta P, Sacco G, Tsiroglou D, Cosmi E and Ciavattini A. 2010. Is antibiotic prophylaxis necessary in elective laparoscopic surgery for benign gynecologic conditions? Gynecologic and Obstetric Investigation 69;2:136–139.
45. Steptoe PC and Edwards RG. 1970. Laparoscopic recovery of preovulatory human oocytes a er priming of ovaries with gonadotrophins. e Lancet. 295;7649:683–689.
46. Lenzand S, Lauritsen JG. 1982. Ultrasonicallyguidedpercutaneous aspiration of human follicles under local anesthesia: a new method of collecting oocytes for in vitro fertilization. Fertility and Sterility. 38;6:673–677.
47. Lenz S, Lauritsen JG and Kjellow M. 1981. Collection of human oocytes for in vitro fertilisation by ultrasonically guided follicular puncture. e Lancet. 317;8230:1163–1164.
48. Maxwell KN, Cholst IN and Rosenwaks Z. 2008. e incidence of both serious and minor complications in young women undergoing oocyte donation. Fertility and Sterility 90;6:2165–2171.
49. Weinreb EB, Cholst IN, Ledger WJ, Danis RB and Rosenwaks Z. 2010. Should all oocyte donors receive prophylactic antibiotics for retrieval? Fertility and Sterility 94;7:2935–2937.
50. Moini A, Riazi K, Amid V et al. 2005. Endometriosis may contribute to oocyte retrieval-induced pelvic in ammatory disease: report of eight cases. Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics 22;7:307–309.
51. Romero B, Aibar L, Martínez Navarro L, Fontes J, Calderon MA and Mozas J. 2013. Pelvic abscess a er oocyte retrieval in women with endometriosis: a case series. Iranian Journal of Reproductive Medicine 11;8:677–680.
52. Kroon B, Hart RJ, Wong BMS, Ford E and Yazdani A. 2012. Antibiotics prior to embryo transfer in ART. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 3. Article ID CD008995
53. Sowerby E and Parsons J. 2004. Prevention of iatrogenic pelvic infection during in vitro fertilization—current practice in the UK. Human Fertility 7;2:135–140.
54. Fanchin R, Harmas A, Benaoudia F, Lundkvist U, Olivennes F and Frydman R. 1998. Microbial ora of the cervix assessed at the time of embryo transfer adversely a ects in vitro fertilization outcome. Fertility and Sterility 70;5:866–870.
55. Moore DE, Soules MR, Klein NA, Fujimoto VY, Agnew KJ and Eschenbach DA. 2000. Bacteria in the transfer catheter tip in uence the live-birth rate a er in vitro fertilization. Fertility and Sterility 74;6:1118–1124.
56. Salim R, Ben-Shlomo I, Colodner R, Keness Y and Shalev E. 2002. Bacterial colonization of the uterine cervix and success rate in assisted reproduction: results of a prospective survey. Human Reproduction 17;2:337–340.
57. Brook N, Khalaf Y, Coomarasamy A, Edgeworth J and Braude P. 2006. A randomized controlled trial of prophylactic antibiotics (co-amoxiclav) prior to embryo transfer. Human Reproduction 21;11:2911–2915.