- Amyand’s Hernia in a Child: A Case Report
Amyand’s Hernia in a Child: A Case Report
Paediatric Surgery.Ukraine.2017.2(55):117-118; doi 10.15574/PS.2017.55.117
Krytskyy I. O., Hoshchynskyi P. V., Bodnarchuk V. L.
Higher State Educational Establishment of Ukraine «Horbachevsky Ternopil State Medical University of MH of Ukraine»
Ternopil Regional Children’s Clinical Hospital
Inguinal hernia containing an appendix is a rare in pediatric surgery. We report the clinical case of Amyand’s hernia in a four year old male child with signs
and symptoms of an irreducible right inguinal hernia. The diagnosis of Amyand’s hernia was made intraoperatively. Appendectomy and herniotomy were
done from the same access. The postoperative period was uneventful. We report the case owing to its rarity.
Key words: Amyand’s hernia, appendectomy, herniotomy.
1. Amyand C. (1736). Of an inguinal rupture, with a pin in the appendix caeci, incrusted with stone, and some observations on wounds in the guts. Philos Transact RSoc Lon. 39: 329–336. https://doi.org/10.1098/rstl.1735.0071
2. Morales-Cardenas A, Ploneda-Valencia CF, Sainz-Escarrega VH et al. (2015). Amyand hernia: case report and review of the literature. Ann Med Surg. 4(2): 113–115. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03355401; https://doi.org/10.1007/s10029-015-1352-y; PMid:25665683
3. D’Alia C, Lo Schiavo MG, Tonante A et al. (2003). Amyand’s hernia: case report and review of the literature. Hernia. 7: 89–91. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10029-002-0098-5; PMid:12820031
4. Ivanschuk G, Cesmebasi A, Sorenson EP et al. (2014). Amyand’s hernia: a review. Med Sci Monit. 20: 140–146. https://doi.org/10.12659/MSM.889873; PMid:24473371 PMCid:PMC3915004
5. Karatas A, Makay O, Salihoglu Z. (2008). Can preoperative diagnosis affect the choice of treatment in Amyand’s hernia? Report of a case. Hernia. 13: 225–7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10029-008-0429-2; PMid:18795412
6. Logan MT, Nottingham JM. (2001). Amyand’s hernia: a case report of an incarcerated and perforated appendix within an inguinal hernia and review of the literature. Am Surg. 67(7): 628–629. PMid:11450774
7. Milanchi S, Allins AD. (2008). Amyand’s hernia: history, imaging, and management. Hernia. 12: 321–322. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10029-007-0304-6; PMid:17990042
8. Ofili OP. (1991). Simultaneous appendectomy and inguinal herniorrhaphy could be beneficial. Ethiop Med J. 29: 37–8. PMid:2001688
9. Weber RV, Hunt ZC, Kral JG. (1999). Amyand’s hernia: etiologic and therapeutic implications of two complications. Surg Rounds. 22: 552–556.