- Successful treatment of Reye’s syndrome in a child (сase report)
Successful treatment of Reye’s syndrome in a child (сase report)
PERINATOLOGIYA I PEDIATRIYA.2016.1(65):122-124;doi 10.15574/PP.2016.65.122
Successful treatment of Reye's syndrome in a child (сase report)
Tsymbalista O. L., Volosianko A. B., Semkovych M. Ya., Semkovych Ya. V., Melnyk T. M., Stefanyshyn P. A.
Ivano-Frankivsk National Medical University, Ukraine
Ivano-Frankivsk Regional Children's Clinical Hospital, Ukraine
A 6-year-old child with Reye's syndrome was successfully treated in the Department of Pediatric Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care of the Ivano-Frankivsk Regional Children's Clinical Hospital. At admission to the hospital the child's condition was critical due to cerebral vascular insufficiency (semicoma, psychomotor agitation), endogenous intoxication syndrome, severe anemic syndrome (Hb — 78g/l), and coagulopathy. Due to the progression of type II respiratory failure, hepatic failure, hemorrhagic and anemic syndromes, and cerebral deficit tracheal intubation for the purpose of controlled ventilation was performed. In order to correct anemia, hypoproteinemia and hemorrhagic syndrome washed erythrocytes, a 10% albumin solution and fresh frozen plasma were transfused. Therapeutic bronchoscopy was performed due to the progression of the expectorant component secondary to ventilator!associated pneumonia. Nonspecific detoxification therapy with discrete plasmapheresis was used. On the 3rd day of treatment tracheal extubation was performed, on the 10th day the child was transferred to the gastroenterology department. On the 13th day of hospital stay in the gastroenterology department and on the 24th day of admission the child was discharged home in satisfactory condition.
Key words: Reye's syndrome; endogenous intoxication.
1. Pro zatverdzhennia klinichnykh Protokoliv nadannia medychnoi dopomohy pry nevidkladnykh stanakh u ditei na shpytalnomu i do shpytalnomu etapakh : nakaz MOZ Ukrainy vid 31.08.2004 r. № 437. www.moz.gov.ua.
2. Cohen J, Powderly WG. 2004. Infectious Diseases. 2nd ed. New York, NY, Elsevier: 310—311.
3. Ferri FF. 2010. Reye's syndrome. 1st ed. Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier Mosby. Section 1.
4. Goetz CG. 2003. Textbook of Clinical Neurology. 2nd ed. St. Louis, MO: WB Saunders: 656—657.
5. Johnston MV. 2011. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier Saunders: 591.
6. Michaels MG, Long SS, Pickering LK. 2003. Reye syndrome. Principles and Practice of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA, Churchill Livingstone: 50.
7. Reye R, Morgan G, Baral J. 1963. Encephalopathy and fatty degeneration of the viscera. A disease entity in childhood. Lancet. 2: 749—752.