- Medical management of acquired palmar-plantar callouses in children
Medical management of acquired palmar-plantar callouses in children
PAEDIATRIC SURGERY.2017.1(54):65-68; doi 10.15574/PS.2017.54.65
Bodnar B. M., Bodnar G. B.
Higher State Educational Establishment of Ukraine «Bukovinian State Medical University», Chernivtsi
Objective: to examine the prevalence of acquired palmar-plantar callouses of skin in children and analyze our experience of treatment depending on the characteristics of callouses.
Material and methods. In total 15,000 children of Chernivtsi region were examined. Callouses caused by mechanical and chemical injuries were found in 8% of children aged from 8 to 18 years. Cryosurgical method was applied in 30 children (20 boys and 10 girls) with acquired palmar plantar-calluses in the rapid growth stage with the square measures up to 0.3 – 0.5 cm².
Results. The benefits of cryosurgical method was confirmed by the absence of complications, namely colloid scars and good cosmetic results as compared to the existing methods that may recommend it to treatment palmar-plantar calluses in children.
Conclusions. Increasing number of patients requires the united efforts of pediatric surgeons, dermatologists, orthopedic surgeons in development of appropriate indications for treatment and prevention of callouses of mechanical origin, bleeding and infection.
Key words: acquired palmar-plantar calluses, children, cryosurgical treatment.
1. Batkaev EA, Kitsak VYa, Korsunskaya IM. 2001. Virusnyie zabolevaniya kozhi i slizistyih obolochek. Moskva, Puls: 59.
2. Bashmakova MA, Savicheva AM. 1999. Virusyi papillomyi cheloveka i ih rol v obrazovanii opuholey. Moskva, Meditsinskaya nauka: 16.
3. Ivanov OL. 2007. Kozhnyie venericheskie bolezni. Moskva, Meditsina.
4. Kungurov NV, Kuznetsova YuN, Gorbunov AP, Tolstaya AI. 2011. Kombinirovannyiy metod lecheniya ladonno-podoshvennyih borodovak. Formakoterapiya v dermatovenerologii. 2: 62–69.
5. Molochkov VA, Kisilev VI, Rudyih IV. 2004. Papilomavirusnaya infektsiya. Klinika, diagnostika, lechenie. Moskva, Russkiy vrach: 44.
6. Shahnes IE, Tumanyan AG. 2002. Kompleksnoe lechenie borodavok. Rossiyskiy zhurn kozhnyih i venerich bolezney. 1: 30–32.
7. Allen AL, Siegfried EC. 2000. What’s new in human papillomavirusinfection. Curr Opion Pediatr. 1: 365–369. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008480-200008000-00015
8. Grinfield I. 2001. Antivirals Human papillomavirus. Clinical and scientific advances. Ed JC Sterling & SK Tyring. London, Arnold: 1120–1130.
9. Kinbauer R, Lenz P, Okun MM. 2002. Human papillomavirus in Dermatology. Ed JL Bolognia et. аl. Edinburg, Mosby: 1217–1234.