- Influence of Some Antiarrhythmic Drugs on Uterine Tonus and Contraction (An Experimental Research)
Influence of Some Antiarrhythmic Drugs on Uterine Tonus and Contraction (An Experimental Research)
PERINATOLOGIYA I PEDIATRIYA. 2017.2(70):53-57; doi 10.15574/PP.2017.70.53
Limanskaya A. Yu.
SI «Institute of Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology of NAMS of Ukraine», Kyiv
Aim — to investigate in experiment the effect of bisoprolol, ATP-LONG, verapamil and amiodarone on the tonus and contraction of myometrium in pregnant rats in order to prevent preterm labor and threatened miscarriage while using antiarrhythmic drugs, even in case of a short treatment regimen.
Materials and methods. In experimental study, myometrium of 12 pregnant (18-19th day) female Vistar white rats weighing 220-240 g was used. The term of pregnancy was determined by the presence of sperm in painted with methylene blue vaginal smears. For appraisal the effects of the investigational agents, the standard analysis parameters of isometric contractions – changes in basal tone, frequency, amplitude of separate contractions and the integral of contraction, which characterizes the strength of separate muscle contractions, were used.
Results and conclusions. The revealed differences of the investigational drugs effects on the uterine contraction can be explained by the peculiarities of the studied agents' mode of action. Our experimental studies suggested that cardioselective agents, such as bisoprolol, were less associated with β2-receptors and thus, did not increase the tone of pregnant uterus. Thus, it has been established that in the verapamil mode of action underlies the blockade of voltage-dependent calcium channels, followed by the decrease of calcium flow into cells. Consequently, taking in median curative dose, this agent does not cause the violation of the uterine contraction. At the same time, calcium ions allow contractions of the smooth muscles, in particular myometrium. Amiodarone blocks mainly potassium ion channels, which play much less role in the constriction of the smooth muscle organs. The use of amiodarone to sinus rhythm restoration, accompanied by symptoms of hemodynamic disorders, is possible for the treatment of life-threatening conditions and does not lead to uterine contractions. The obtained data could be used in reaching the decision of the applicability of investigational agents as a hypotensive or antiarrhythmic agents in pregnants with violations of uterine contraction.
Key words: uterine tonus and contraction, antiarrhythmic drugs.
1. Abalos E, Duley L, Steyn DW et al. (2007, Jan 24). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. (1): CD002252. PMid:17253478
2. Calvert MJ, Shankar A, McManus RJ et al. (2009, Jan 18). Evaluation of the management of heart failure in primary care. Fam Pract. PubMed — as supplied by publisher.
3. Groote P, Isnard R, Clerson P et al. (2009). Improvement in the management of chronic heart failure since the publication of the updated guidelines of the European Society of Cardiology. The Impact-Reco Programme. Eur J Heart Fail. 11(1): 85—91. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurjhf/hfn005; PMid:19147461
4. Magee LA, Duley L. (2003). Oral beta-blockers for mild to moderate hypertension during pregnancy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. Is 3. Art. No.: CD002863. doi 10.1002/14651858.CD002863.
5. Wehling M. (2010). Multimorbidity and polypharmacy: which betablocker to use in relation to the pharmacokinetic profile and interaction potential. Arzneimittelforschung. 60(2): 57—63. PMid:20329652